Save vLookup Value to List

Forums SPJS-Lookup Save vLookup Value to List

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Sanchez
      Participant

Hi Alexander, I have a vLookup between two lists in same site that is working great. The vLookup renders multi-line plain text that could not be pulled with cascading dropdown. Problem I face is that when the user saves the form, the vLookup value is not saved. Is there a workaround for this?

ListBaseURL for both lists: /sites/CentralizedReportingScorecards

FROM listGUID: 1a27d4af-0f72-4876-88a6-e9f55f745c31
      TO listGUID: 0a97737a-506d-4740-bb11-845d0da75e69

1. – FROM Fin and Disp Name: oxjb|Definition
      TO Fin and Disp Name: vLookupDefinition|CurrentDefinition
      (multi-line plan text field to single line plain text field)

2. – FROM Fin and Disp Name: ljdj|Calculation
      TO Fin and Disp Name: vLookupCalculation|CurrentCalculation
      (multi-line plan text field to single line plain text field)

Existing Unique key ID between lists:

FROM Fin and Disp Name: Metric_x0020_ID|MetricID
      TO Fin and Disp Name: Title|SQLMetricID

Thank you for all that you do!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

The way vLookup works it is NOT writing the values to the parent form. The data is only displayed when you show the form (by running a query to the child items to render the data).

If you need to write it to the parent item you either need another solution, or at least some custom js in your form to save it.

If you can give me some more details about why you need to write it to the form I’ll see if I can help you with it.

Alexander

Sanchez
      Participant

Thank you Alex. The list is a change request intake list so the new item form gives pulls in existing details to the item they are wanting to change so they can see the existing data followed by a field near it for them to tell us what they need to change it to. most of the ‘current’ data fields are pulled using Cascading Dropdowns except for these 2 because they are multiline text fields. i.e. the screen shots show a vlookup for ‘Current Definition’ followed by a ‘New Definition’ for their entry. when the form is saved, the list will notified all appropriate people that need to review the change so having the vlookup column display the content next to the ‘new’ helps them see what they are changing from and to. The form is not intended to automatically update the original list source on any way. It’s only a centralized tool for change requests to be reviewed and the submitter can come back to it and check the approval status. Attaching a partial screenshot of the ‘TO’ list. Hope this helps. Ü

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Is what you really want to be able to pull in a multiline text field as the last in a cascading dropdown? – I guess I could add support for that in the next version.

Alexander

Sanchez
      Participant

Yes, that would definitely solve for it. Ü

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I have added this to the new version I published just now: https://spjsblog.com/2020/03/27/dffs-package-updated-to-v4-4-4-28/

Look at the user manual for cascading dropdowns here: https://spjsblog.com/dffs/dffs-plugins/spjs-cascading-dropdowns

Let me know how it works out.

Alexander

Sanchez
      Participant

Hi Alexander. I appreciate you prompt response Ü. Unfortunately it didn’t work. I can create the relationship between both fields in cascading dropdown and I can locate the ‘note’ field to add row in Tabs but like before, it breaks all cascading dropdown fields previously working. They simply return all blanks. Tells me to change field to ‘Single Lines of text’ which if I do (and I did) it will return all other cascading fields except for that one. that one still pull blank.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I think you might have set it up wrong. The “Comma separated list of fields in the current list” is only supposed to hold the values to populate the cascading dropdowns to select the correct list item, and then you add the rest of the field you want to pull from the list is supposed to be added to the “Set fields” textarea.

Please note that you MUST update the DFFS package to v4.4.4.28 and have Cascading dropdowns v3.7.37.

Alexande

Sanchez
      Participant

Had to set ‘Set Fields’. It works perfectly! Wow, you never cease to amaze us. Thank you so much Alexander. I’ve shared your most recent update with our organization’s SP community. Everyone is just as excited as me.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback – I’m glad you got it up and running!

Best regards,
      Alexander

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.