Check out functionality with workflow check

Forums Classic DFFS Check out functionality with workflow check

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kasey
      Participant

Alex,

I’m using your check in/out functionality in addition to a rule that checks if the workflow is running. If the workflow is running we prompt a message that redirects them to the display form. The issue is the checkout sets the CheckedOut field value to Yes which triggers the workflow. Is there a function I can loop through to keep checking the workflow status and load the form when its complete? Basically I’d like to use your alert to prompt them a workflow is running and keep checking the status and close the modal once the workflow is complete.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

It’s impossible to not trigger the workflow when the checkedOut field is changed so if you have a workflow on “change” in this list it might be incompatible with the check-out functionality. The reason for this is that when the checkout functionality is triggered, the item is saved and refreshed – triggering the workflow now will result in a save conflict when the user tries to save the changes.

It might work if your workflow does not change the item itself though.

If the workflow is running already when you enter EditForm it might work if you could do the “waiting” in the DispForm and not the EditForm to ensure the check-out functionality is not triggered before the original workflow has finished.

Alexander

Leon
      Participant

Hi Alex,

I know this is an old thread but hoping for some help on this issue.

I’ve tried having workflow check for if CheckedOut = yes to end but the error continues.

Would the defer loading of DFFS be a potential solution? I tried doing 60000 ms but I still got the error.. I am not sure what timeframe would be needed for the workflow to run and finish..

I am also curious about the part you mentioned of doing the “waiting” in disp form.. I don’t see an option for this can you elaborate?

Thank you.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Is the problem that you try to edit the item and get a save conflict because of the workflow updating the item after the user opened it for edit?

If you are using a SharePoint Designer Workflow (not PowerAutomate FLOW) you can try the rule trigger “Workflow status” – read about it by clicking the orange question mark to the right of the trigger-select to open the contextual help.

Set this thread for an example of a custom function you can have this rule trigger: https://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/check-out-feature-triggering-workflows/#post-26487

Alexander

Leon
      Participant

Thanks Alex!

took me a bit to figure out how to get the rule right but this worked.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback – I’m glad you figured it out.

Alexander

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.