v2 Installer on multiple subsites

Forums Classic DFFS v2 Installer on multiple subsites

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony Bowes
      Participant

Hi Alex,

On the version 1 installer for DFFS I could change the site base URL to a different subsites so that I didn’t have to create installer pages for each site. Worked well.

On the new v2 installer it autolinks to the current subsite and displays it in a droplist, but I cannot see a way to add the other subsites to the droplist. Is there something I’m missing or should I be setting up installers per subsite?
      (Note the DFFS folders per subsite are upgraded independently to help with testing and migrating. I haven’t done the side-load technique yet)

Tony Bowes
      Participant

Sorry, should have mentioned: DFFS Installer v2.0.0.6 – November 27, 2019

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

If you use different DFFS versions in each subsite you must set up an installer webpage in each site because the v2 installer writes the full path to the script files directly to the loader file and does not use code to load the files based on a variable with the site base url.

If you use the same DFFS version (installed in the root of the site collection) you can use one installer webpage in the root site and this should list all subsites in the site selector.

Let me know if I have misunderstood you question.

Alexander

Tony Bowes
      Participant

Thanks Alex,

I have been hesitant to set up the installer on the site collection level as I wanted to control the DFFS rollout a little more tightly. From the above and reading up on installing custom versions, it looks like installing all DFFS versions as subfolders of SPJS at the site collection level and upgrading individual subsites or lists using the “custom version” option would suit better. I’ll give it a try.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I actually think I have missed something related to the ability for loading custom versions in the v2 loader – I’ll look into it tomorrow and get back to you here.

PS: Thanks for your donation!

Best regards,
      Alexander

Tony Bowes
      Participant

Hi Alex,
      Yes, there may be something amiss:
      – Installed SPJS on site collection and created DFFS_Collection_Installer page. Links to all subsites. Navigation and exposure of all subsite DFFS installs is awesome!
      – Uploaded DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28 to /SPJS/DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28
      – Removed DFFS from /IP/IT “Site Setups” list and reinstalled with custom folder of “DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28”. DFFS starts loading but times out.
      – Added directory /IP/IT/SPJS/DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28. DFFS starts loading but times out.
      – Reinstalled DFFS with custom directory of “/SPJS/DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28”. DFFS doesn’t seem to load at all.
      – Reinstalled DFFS with no custom directory and list forms load correctly.

HTH

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’ll have to do some more work to get the “Install custom version by specifying the folder name here” functionality to work in v2 – obviously I did not test this properly.

I’ll try to get it ready during this week and post and updated version.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
      Alexander

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I looked at it now and think I found a solution – can you try the attached version?

Just unzip and replace the file in /SPJS/DFFS/installer.

Let me know how it works out.

Alexander

Tony Bowes
      Participant

Hi Alex,

v2.007 redirects me back to the loader page to add the custom DFFS folder there. Adding the current versioned folder (DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28) and updating the loader file seems to stall the save (“Saving please wait” message stays up for over 2 minutes before I quit the page). This happens on Chrome and Edge.
      Changing the field to “/SPJS/DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28” gives a warning that the “/SPJS//SPJS/DFFS_v4.4.4.16_2019-11-28” folder doesn’t exist, so it seems to have picked up the folder correctly he first time. I also attempted to remove any special characters in the custom folder (“DFFSv44416”) but it still stalls when attempting to save the loader.

I went back to the list and updated the custom folder to “DFFSv44416” and it successfully installed! I checked the list and it seems to behave correctly with DFFS loaded. I checked licensing on the list and it highlights in red the custom folder in use, so it feels like it has worked.

Returning to the loader modification screen and the Custom DFFS Folder is still blank. Not sure if that’s expected. There is a DFFS_Loader_v2.html file in /SPJS/DFFSv44416/loader so it looks like it might be complete.

HTH

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback – I have checked and found that the loader did not properly reload when you had installed the custom folder loader and got stuck on the “Saving, please wait” message. It did however seem to install properly. I’ll fix this in the next release and hopefully get it released during the weekend.

Best regards,
      Alexander

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.