Using Alternative Field Labels

Forums Classic DFFS Using Alternative Field Labels

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Therman
      Participant

This may be something simple I’m missing, but I would like to name my columns something simple, but display a different name on the form. For instance, I would like to have the real name of my field be “LunchYesNo” while displaying “Will you like to order lunch”? on the form.

Is this possible?

Michael
      Participant

Hi Therman,

i think you have 2 Options:

1.) create yout Field “LunchYesNo” and after you created ist, just rename it to what ever you want –> the field internal name stays “LunchYesNo”. I think this is the best practice to get nice and accessable fieldnames.

2.) you could use custom JS to search an replace the label field. But this only makes sense if you need to change the label dynamicly…

Best regards,
      Michael

Therman
      Participant

Hey, thanks Michael. I’m aware of the first option. It’s what I normally do. However, i was looking for something that had the same functionality as InfoPath. In InfoPath, you can name your field, but on the form canvas you can write whatever you want.

If those are my best options, I guess I’ll have to make them work. Thanks again!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

You can use custom js to change the label, but I haven’t added an option to override it directly in the tab configuration.

Here is an example of how you can do it with custom js: https://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/sharepoint-online-field-renaming/

Alexander

Therman
      Participant

Good deal. I’ll give this a shot.

William Summers
      Participant

I know this is old but this kind of worked for me. I had to change all of the double quotes to single and I dropped it in the custom js in dffs.

$(spjs.dffs.fields[Field Internal Name you want to find and change]).find(td.ms-formlabel h3 nobr)[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue = Field name you want changed to;

Hope that helps someone

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I’m glad you figured it out, but I did include a new builtin function to do this in the latest version of DFFS (v4.4.4.13): https://spjsblog.com/dffs/dffs-change-log/#DFFS_v44413

Alexander

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.