Upgrade very old DFFS to newer version

Forums Classic DFFS Upgrade very old DFFS to newer version

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jonathan Stamper
      Participant

I’ve taken on a task to update a few things with one of our SharePoint on-premise sites. I happened to notice that they are using a very old version of DFFS (v2.95) and I’d like to try and convert them over to the latest version.

Do you have any good tips, documents or even best practices/advice for the best approach in migrating from such an older version a more current one?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

v2.95 is 10 years old so there might be some breaking changes in later versions that causes the old configuration to fail.

You just have to test it and see if it works, and if not I’m afraid you must recreate the configuration.

Alexander

Jonathan Stamper
      Participant

Ah, man! I thought that would be the case. I saved the configuration blobs and will look to replicate in a copied UAT list.

Jonathan Stamper
      Participant

I created a UAT space and added the new DFFS items. When I try to install DFFS onto the forms of the UAT list I get an error message: Failed to add the DFFS WebPart(s) to “form name” The file you imported is not valid. Verify that the file is a Web Part description file (.webpart or .Dwp) that contains well-formed xml.

Not sure how to proceed. I pointed the loader file to DFFS which is in SPJS doc library.

I also don’t have any data in the UAT list yet.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Are you trying to install the 10 year old version or the lates one?

Alexander

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I haven’t seen this error before. Can you try downloading the latest version and replacing your DFFS folder and try again?

If that does not work you can add the CEWP manually by editing the NewForm.aspx, DispForm.aspx and EditForm.aspx pages – edit a working form in another page and look at the CEWP added above and below the main web part and replicate the same CEWP with the correct Content Link to the DFFS loader and the DFFS overlay.

Alexander

Jonathan Stamper
        Participant

I’m getting close. I reuploaded DFFS back in to the SPJS folder which didn’t change the error. So then I took the bottom and top CEWPs from a working list on another site, exported them out and imported them into the troubled list. I updated the links on each pointed to the specified locations. It now brings up the updated DFFS edit version link at the bottom of the form but when I select it I’m presented with an error at the top of the page and can’t go any farther.

The site is a subsite and the SPJS folder is in that subsite. Should I put it on the main site and reference from there?

Attachments:
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I have never had any reporting a similar problem so I’m not sure what causes this, but open the dev tools (F12 > Console) and look at any errors there to see if it might give some clues.

If you can email me some screenshots of your list / CEWP I can take a look and see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

Alexander

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.