Tabs and Rules

Forums General discussion Tabs and Rules

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

I created a Tab with a rule to hide all but 2 form fields. Then I created rules that when one of the options is selected in the second form field of “Request Type” different questions populate. It works separately but not together. When someone clicks to add new item to list I only want the two fields of Requestor and Request Type to show and all the rest hidden. But then follow the rules I completed for the different request types. It seems the Tab rule overrode the specific rules. Did I do this wrong? Can I remove the Tab rules and just create a rule to hide all the columns except for the desired 2? I tried that and it did not work…

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Not sure I follow you 100% here, but you don’t need any rule to initially hide the fields you have other rules on. If a rule triggers on a choice field having the value “Choice 1” selected, you set it to show the fields corresponding with that choice. If the rule is true, it will show the fields, but if it is false it will hide the fields.

Repeat for the other options of that same field and you should be OK.

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

All of the rules work properly when a selection is made in the dropdown box. What is not working is the initial load. When someone clicks add new item to the list it is showing ALL fields. I only want the first 2 to show.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Can you show me screenshots of your rules also? – there are different configuration options so I need to see the rules to give you a correct answer.

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

attached

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thanks,
      The one thing almost everyone struggles with is the automatic reversal of rules that are not matched.

What you want to do is to ONLY add the visible fields to your rules and NOT the hidden ones.

For example: if your rule triggering on “System access” is true, the fields set as “Visible fields” will be shown, if not the same fields will automatically be hidden.

Try it out and let me know how it works out.

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

that worked, thanks so much!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m glad it worked out – have a nice weekend!

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

I have one more problem with this. When I edit the item in the list the fields I have set to visible do not all show up. It works when I create the item but not in the display or edit. I have set up the same rules in the display and edit forms. Please advise.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Try activating “debug” on the rules (top right corner of each rule) and look at the output below the form when you load it. Does the status of your rules look right?

Expand the rule in the debug output to see what it does.

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

I clicked debug and I have 2 rules that are green and the rest are red.

This is an example of one in red:

DocChange [index: 4] (load)

Trigger: Request_x0020_Type
      Operator: Equals
      Target value: Document Change
      Current value: System Access
      Match = FALSE

Current index: 4
      TriggerMap: 0, 4, 5, 6, 9

Reversed actions for “DocChange [index: 4]”

Mandatory fields:
      Optional fields:
      Hidden fields: Document Name, Desired Effective Date, Completion Date, Status
      Visible fields:
      Visible headings or elements:
      Hidden headings or elements:
      Read only fields:
      Editable fields:
      Hidden tabs:
      Visible tabs:

I couldn’t find much information on how to debug based on the results?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

The debug output shows which rules are evaluated to true, and what the actions is performed by this rule.

This particular rule states that the Request Type is NOT Document Change, and therefore it HIDES the fields Document Name, Desired Effective Date, Completion Date, Status.

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

Ok that makes sense I probably used the wrong example.

This one is in green yet the last 2 fields do not show up (Completion date and status) when Editing the form.

SystemAccess [index: 0] (load)

Trigger: Request_x0020_Type
      Operator: Equals
      Target value: System Access
      Current value: System Access
      Match = TRUE

Current index: 0
      TriggerMap: 0, 4, 5, 6, 9

Actions for “SystemAccess [index: 0]”

Mandatory fields:
      Optional fields:
      Hidden fields:
      Visible fields: TM Name, Business Need, Desired Effective Date , Completion Date, Status
      Visible headings or elements:
      Hidden headings or elements:
      Read only fields:
      Editable fields:
      Hide save item button: false
      Hide cancel button: false
      Hide edit item button: false
      Hidden tabs:
      Visible tabs:
      Set field value: []
      Display message:
      Alert message:
      Selected tab:
      Run these functions:
      Send these emails:
      No reverse: false
      Stop and exit: false
      Jump to rule:

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

What usually causes this is that there are other rules interfering – do you have other rules that could be set to hide these fields if the rule is evaluated to true (or if it’s reversed when evaluated to false)?

Alexander

Danielle Arcuri
      Participant

Yes I have one rule that hides them. Do I need to make them visible on that rule?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

It’s hard to tell without looking at it, but does one rule hide the fields and another show them? – maybe you need to check the “No reversing of this rule” checkbox in the rule to ensure it only does what it should when the rule evaluates to true and don’t reverse the actions if the rule evaluates to false.

Alexander

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.