SharePoint Online and DFFS

Forums General discussion SharePoint Online and DFFS

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith Hudson
      Participant

My current gig is a migration from SP2007 to SharePoint Online for a low-maturity organization. (They have only used SharePoint for document sharing in the past). They seem interested in learning how to build more advanced SharePoint solutions. I’d love to demo DFFS for them. Has anyone used/tested DFFS in SharePoint Online? Are there any known issues or limitations?

Note that MS is rollilng out a “Modern Document Library” experience in SPOnline that uses heavy Javascript development including React rather than dot net development. Apparently in “modern” doc libraries, there is no longer a display form for individual items.

The naming of some of the settings for a “modern” document library suggests to me that similar changes are going to be coming in future to lists also. Alex, have you seen any of the changes made in “modern” document libraries, and will DFFS be able to be adapted to these changes as they come forward?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi Keith,
      Sorry for the late reply – I had a little pileup in my mailbox.

I have started working on a new version, but for now you must opt to keep the classic view. You find my original post here: https://spjsblog.com/2016/06/24/dffs-and-new-form-layout-in-sharepoint/

I’ll post updates as soon as I have a test version available.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
      Alexander

Michal Riha
      Participant

Hi All,

thanks for working on a new version, Alexander.
      The end of classic view is conclusive. I attach a statement from MS Premier support team…:

“…I wanted to let you know that I have received an answer from the product team regarding this behaviour , please read below:
      Thank you for contacting Microsoft regarding your request of “Get A Link” for List Item old UI retrieves no value for Item URL
      We have conducted a thorough investigation into this matter and we cannot accept this request.
      To keep our engineering velocity high, we are investing in the modern UI for new functionality moving forward. The classic UI is still available to customers who are satisfied with that feature set. We do not plan on adding all new features to classic UI. Additionally we have indicated publicly that we expect to move away from Classic in the future for ODB, and continue with supporting only the modern UX. We don’t have full timing disclosed yet but working on a plan.”

Michal

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I’m still working on a completely new DFFS version for release next year, but the current version with the new “installer” will work with the modern ux as the form detects the DFFS on form load and therefore renders the form in classic view with DFFS even if the list is set to render in modern ux. The list views will still render in modern ux.

Please note that the vLookup columns will not work in the modern ux in list views.

Alexander

Roelof Meijer
      Participant

Hi Alexander,

Is there already some progress regarding the sharepoint modern interface and DFFS?
      Do I have to worry about Microsoft stopping the classic interface and my dffs forms will not work anymore?
      Many thanks
      Roelof

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I haven’t been able to do as much as I would have liked with this because of the lack of customization options in the modern experience, but now that Microsoft have opened up for using custom code in “modern pages” I will definitely pick up the thread and keep working on it. The modern and classic experience will from what I have read coexist, and the classic view will not be deprecated. I’m therefore confident I will be able to come up with a new version before this support ends.

Best regards,
      Alexander

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.