Redirect after save/cancel

Forums Modern DFFS Redirect after save/cancel

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe Penland
      Participant

Is there a way in Modern DFFS to redirect users to a specified page after saving or cancelling a form?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

To redirect after save you must set up a rule triggering on “After save of the form” and add an action “Call a function”. Add the name “redirectToCustomUrl” in the “Function name” field and then add this function to your custom js:

function redirectToCustomUrl(){
        location.href = "https://spjsworks.com";
      }

I haven’t currently added a method to detect cancel button click (or X in the top right corner), but will look at adding a trigger to detect that also.

Alexander

Joe Penland
      Participant

Thank you. Yes, in this instance I am sending users to the form from another page, so I want them to come back whether they save or cancel in the form. This would also apply if I just show them the display form for an item and they close it. I would like to send them back to the page of my choice. Adding a way to detect cancelling would be very helpful in order to handle both cases (save and cancel or close).

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

I’ll add support for detecting that in the next version.

Alexander

Joe Penland
        Participant

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

I have published a new version with support for detecting “cancel” in a form – you find the change log over at spjsworks.com.

Let me know how it works out.

Alexander

Joe Penland
      Participant

I am finally getting back around to try this out and am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to trigger a function on cancelling a form. I don’t see a cancel event in the triggers for the rules. How do I attach my function to a cancel event?

I appreciate your help.

Joe Penland
      Participant

Thanks for your reply. I did see those examples, but I haven’t successfully gotten my functions to trigger when the form is closed or cancelled. I am not seeing the cancel event as something I can use as a trigger.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

That is correct, the trigger is the function itself – if it exists in your custom js it will be triggered when you cancel the form.

Just drop this in your forms custom js:

function dffs_PostCancelAction() {
        // Do something if the item is cancelled - for example redirect to another page
        location.href = "https://contoso.com/CancelMsg";
      }

What is it you want to do when a form is cancelled?

Alexander

Joe Penland
        Participant

For some reason it doesn’t seem to be working for me. We are still running v1.0.12.0, but I believe that version includes support for detecting the cancel event.

I have this in the Custom JS of the New form:

function saveCancelRedirect() {
        let searchParams = new URL(document.location).searchParams;
        let dffsSource = decodeURIComponent(searchParams.get(“DFFSSource”));
        console.log(‘dffsSource:’);
        console.log(dffsSource);
        console.log(typeof dffsSource);

if (dffsSource !== undefined && dffsSource !== null && dffsSource !== ‘null’) {
        console.log(‘Redirect to ‘ + dffsSource);
        }
        }

function dffs_PostSaveAction() {
        saveCancelRedirect();
        }

saveCancelRedirect();
        }

I am able to trigger the function by clicking a button, but it is not triggering when I cancel or close the form.

Joe Penland
        Participant

I also tried with this but still, I can see the action take place on clicking a button, but not on cancelling the form.

function saveCancelRedirect() {
        let searchParams = new URL(document.location).searchParams;
        let dffsSource = decodeURIComponent(searchParams.get(“DFFSSource”));
        console.log(‘dffsSource:’);
        console.log(dffsSource);
        console.log(typeof dffsSource);

if (dffsSource !== undefined && dffsSource !== null && dffsSource !== ‘null’) {
        location.href = dffsSource;
        }
        }

Joe Penland
        Participant

I realized I didn’t really explain my purpose. I want to set up the function so it can dynamically pull the redirect destination from the URL search parameters because the page I link FROM may change and I am putting the current page in the search parameters under a “DFFSSource” parameter. If that parameter is present, I want to redirect users to whatever URL is passed. I am testing with “https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom” as the source and it logs correctly in the console as https://www.google.com just before navigating to Google when I test by clicking a button. When I cancel the form, nothing logs to the console and nothing happens. I don’t get errors, I just don’t get anything.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

You are right, this doesn’t work… I had a typo in the code and it only works if you use it in a “child form” (view / edit of a vLookup or when opening a lookup item).

I’ll get this fixed in the next version later this week.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Alexander

Joe Penland
        Participant

No problem! Thank you for all you do to make this a great product that works for so many different scenarios. I look forward to testing it out again after the next version comes out.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I have published a new version – please let me know how it works out.

Alexander

Joe Penland
      Participant

It looks like everything is working now! Thank you for publishing the new version with the update.

Sarah O
      Participant

Hi Alexander,

I’d like to redirect the user to our homepage instead of the default list when a form is saved or cancelled. I tested the following codes in the custom JS tab on all forms and I am still being redirected to a list instead of the intended URL. (used google URL for confidentiality purposes). Can you please take a look at the codes I’m using for any errors?

location.href = “https://google.com”;
      }

function dffs_PostSaveAction() {
      location.href = “https://google.com”;
      }

Currently operating on the following versioning of DFFS:
      Dynamic Forms for SharePoint v4.4.5.27 – July 30, 2023
      CSS version: 4.51 / 4,51
      spjs-utility version: 1.356
      Loader version: v2

Sarah O
        Participant

UPDATE TO CODES:

For some reason when I posted this reply the code was corrupted. I attached a screenshot to this post

Attachments:
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi Sarah,
      The method you refer to is for the Modern DFFS version. I see from the version details that you use the classic DFFS and you must use code like this:

function dffs_PreSaveAction(){
        spjs.dffs.redirect("https://The_address_to_redirect_to_after_save",false);
      }

Alexander

Sarah O
      Participant

Thank you, I tried this and it worked for redirecting on save.

Is there a similar functionality to redirect on cancel? I tried PreCancelAction, PreCloseAction, with the same syntax and neither worked

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

Hi,
        There is no built in method, but you can attach a click function to the cancel button by adding this to your custom js:

jQuery("input[id$='diidIOGoBack']").click(function(){
            location.href = "https://spjsblog.com/DFFS";
        });

Alexander

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.