Random Pairing in Custom List?

Forums Dynamic Forms for SharePoint Random Pairing in Custom List?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alexander Bautz 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Cassandra Cronsell
    Participant

Hello,

I created a Custom List in SP 2013 and use DFFS to customize, that is being used as a sign-up/registration form. The fields it includes are Status (Choice), Participant Name (person lookup) and ID.

I want to randomly pair Participant Names and want to send an email to them with the pair information once it’s selected. Is this possible?

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Should for example participant #1 (Cassandra) be matched with #2 (Alexander) and the email tell that Cassandra and Alexander is paired – and write the pairing info to both #1 and #2 so you can see it in the list?

If this is correct, should the pairing just look for the first unpaired participant so the participant #1 is unpaired until #2 registers and is paired with the first unpaired (#1) and #3 is unpaired until #4 registers and is paired with the first unpaired (#3)?

Alexander

Cassandra Cronsell
    Participant

Yes, that would work.

For my list, participants could be enrolling (creating a list item) throughout the month so ideally, we would pair them all randomly once per month; but I did not consider pairing automatically as they come in.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay. It is possible to create this, but unfortunately I’m a bit busy and cannot help you right now, but I might be able to do it next week.

I guess a solution would be to create a script to put in a web part page where you can hit a button that gets all the list items from the list, randomly pairing them and then writing the pairing information to a second list were you keep track of the pairs. You can then use a workflow / flow sending out emails.

Let me know if you have any more details and I’ll estimate how much time this will take to make.

Alexander

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.