Multiple Lists Question

Forums General discussion Multiple Lists Question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Saikia Kashmiri
      Participant

Sorry this may be a very basic question :). I am trying to implement the following.
      A requestor needs initial estimates for a project to acquire funding. They create a record in a list (about 130 fields) and submit for sizing.
      About 30 tech train representatives review the project record and provide sizing for their trains. My questions are –
      1. Can I store the project records in one list, the response from tech trains in a separate list, and join the two for views.
      2. Can more than one person enter their responses in the sizing record at the same time in different fields?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

1. You can use the vLookup functionality in the Classic DFFS and the Modern DFFS (see page 13 or user manual) versions to connect the responses to each project record, but this will not show in a list view – only when you click into DispForm or EditForm or a project record.

2. No, this is unfortunately not possible. If two users open the same record for editing the user who saves last will get a save conflict and cannot save the changes.

Alexander

Saikia Kashmiri
      Participant

Oh dear … that second fact is a huge set back to my progress then… Is there any other way to achieve that?
      So as soon as the requestor completes their project details, all the tech trains review and enter their sizes and they could be potentially doing it at the same time. Is there a way for me to lock a record when being edited or show a message that it’s being edited by another person?
      (I would not want create separate lists for each train since I wont be able to show them all in one view…)
      And THANK YOU for your prompt response!

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

There is no way to allow for simultaneously editing by multiple users in a SharePoint list item.

I don’t think locking the form to one user when multiple users is supposed to work on it at the same time will work for your users (they would be fighting for access and will sit and refresh the screen to see when it is unlocked).

From my point of view, the only way to make this work is to split the information out in separate lists.

Alexander

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.