Error: Value does not fall within the expected range.

Forums vLooup for SharePoint Error: Value does not fall within the expected range.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Gerard Graham
      Participant

Hi there

I’m attempting to have the a vLookup pointing to the ‘parent’ list to find child records. I have a Parent lookup field that points to the main list (it is a list of projects and some are child project records of parent projects). However, I get the error “Value does not fall within the expected range.” regardless of the criteria used.

I’m using vLookup v2.209 and dffs frontend v4.306_patched, dffs backend v4.305 and spjs-utility 1.206

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gerry

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I’m sorry, but I’ll need some more explanation. I’m a bit confused about what is the parent and what is the child here. Can you explain in detail how the connection is between the two lists?

Alexander

Gerard Graham
      Participant

HI Alexander

I have a list of projects. Some projects are ‘parents’ of other sub projects in the same list. The link is a lookup field called Parent which returns from the project list a project name.

In the project display and edit forms I am using a vLookup field to look for sub projects to display. I have a range of other vLookups successfully working, pulling in child records from other lists. This is the only one that isn’t working. Is it do do with the fact that list it is looking up itself?

A similar example would be if I had alist of staff and the managers where in the same list. Could I use a vlookup to list for a manager their reportees?

Thanks

Gerry

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Sorry for the delay.

I cannot see any reason why this should not work. Can you attach a few screenshos of the vLookup configuration for this field? – including a screenshot of the field table for the vLookup (you can expand this above or below the viewfields section) to ensure the FIN is correct for the field you use in the query.

Alexander

Gerard Graham
      Participant

Hi there

No need to apologise. I will buy you a beer if you can fix this one. Promise!

I’ve attached the screen shot (have rather a lot of fields in this list)

The screen shot shows the Field Type as as Text in the configuration form. If I change to Lookup (Text value) I go no matching records, but also no error.

Thanks

Gerry

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Try changing the query like the attached image and you should be OK.

Let me know how this works out.

Alexander

Gerard Graham
      Participant

Cheers. That worked a treat.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thank you for the beer!

Alexander

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.