DFFS_EMail with Stop = True is still sending email after resuming from paused

Forums Classic DFFS DFFS_EMail with Stop = True is still sending email after resuming from paused

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Amal Vellappillil
      Participant

Hi Alex,

I am running into an interesting issue. I am using DFFS_EMail and workflows to send future dated emails. Here is what is happening when an item is added to DFFS_EMail list with a future send date.
      1. The workflow pauses till the send date.
      2. Workflow resumes after send date and sends the email even if Stop variable is Yes/True.
      3. For debugging I added a log to workflow history step after pausing resumes just to see what the Stop variable value is. The value is True.

I have attached screenshots of workflow history and workflow steps. Can you please take a look and let me know what might be causing this issue?

Thank you,
      Amal Vellappillil

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I have seen this earlier myself (but I have now stopped using this workflow because it is no longer supported in SharePoint online).

This is as far as I know a bug in the workflow handling where it does not properly recognize the Stop = true. It might be because it parses it as a string and uses “True” as a string and not as a boolean true value.

You can try wrapping the “then email…” step in an if where you use “If Stop is NOT equal to Yes” and see if that helps.

Alexander

Amal Vellappillil
      Participant

Yes, it seems as if the boolean variable is not getting set with Yes/No values. Rather its getting set with True/False.

In any case I tried creating a an integer variable and setting value from Stop field. I then used that variable and checked if it equals 1. If 1, then stop the workflow. This seem to have worked. You can may be update your documentation to use an Integer variable rather than using a Boolean variable and check for 1. This might be helpful for those who are still in On-Prem SharePoint.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to send future dated emails in SharePoint online?

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

I’m glad you found a workaround – can you post a screenshot of the extra workflow step? – I don’t have any on-prem site to get screenshots from anymore.

In SPO you can use a FLOW / PowerAutomate to set up a flow that runs on a schedule once every day and looks for items that has a send date “today”.

Alexander

Amal Vellappillil
      Participant

Hi Alex,

Thank you for explaining how things work in SPO.

I have attached the following screenshots.
      1. Modified workflow
      2. Create Stop variable as Integer
      3. CurrentItem Stop as Integer (looking up)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.