Create item in another list issue with setting value for Lookup column

Forums General discussion Create item in another list issue with setting value for Lookup column

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Charlene
      Participant

I have some custom JS to add items to a 2nd list, but i keep getting an error when trying to set a value on a Lookup column. Is there something special with the way you treat Lookup columns vs single line of text columns?

Charlene
      Participant

This is my code:

var ok = spjs.dffs.check_Mandatory([“Title”]), data = {}, newItem;
      if(ok){
      data.Title = getFieldValue(“Title”); //This works great since it’s a single line of text column
      data.LookupColumn = getFieldValue(“Title”); //This is where I get an error I assume because it’s a lookup column
      newItem = spjs.utility.addItem({“listName”:”MyGUID”,”data”:data});
      if(newItem.success){
      // Item added
      }else{
      alert(newItem.errorText);
      }
      }

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply – I had an error in the email plugin in my site and didn’t receive notifications.

Yes, setting a lookup value is different – you must use the ID and not the title. If you change the code like this (assuming the lookup column should target the currently edited item):

var ok = spjs.dffs.check_Mandatory(["Title"]), data = {}, newItem;
      if (ok) {
          data.Title = getFieldValue("Title");
          data.LookupColumn = getFieldValue("ID");
          newItem = spjs.utility.addItem({ "listName": "MyGUID", "data": data });
          if (newItem.success) {
              // Item added
          } else {
              alert(newItem.errorText);
          }
      }

Please note that this won’t work if you are triggering this code in NewForm as you don’t yet have the ID.

Alexander

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.