Create a ‘capture history’ field for comments

Forums Modern DFFS Create a ‘capture history’ field for comments

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jorah Lavin
      Participant

Greetings

I’m using Modern DFFS v1.0.13.0 (most recent approved version in my company).

I have a business case where the version history in a multiline text field is not sufficient. The client needs to be able to export the entire history of various text fields, and SP OOB doesn’t allow that. I figured out how to write the text from the field to a history field, but when there’s a second edit later it overwrites the first comment. I want to concatenate the new comment, along with a date stamp and listing of who wrote the comment, into the history field.

I’m almost certain there was a built-in way to do this in the on-premises version of DFFS, and I’m hoping it’s here and I just haven’t found it yet.

Thanks for any guidance.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Yes, there was an option when setting field value in the classic version (using “prepend” or “append” keyword in the set field value section of a rule).

I haven’t used the same keywords in the modern version so the method is a bit different.

Use a rule triggering on “Before save of the form” > Set field value and use the “Add dynamic content” control to add something like this following:

[[fieldValue:AppendCustom]]
      [[timestamp:{"date":"today","offsetDays":0,"format":"MM/dd/yy"}]] [[currentuser:displayName]]
      [[fieldValue:Comment]]

This will append the value from the field “Comment” to the existing text in the “AppendCustom” field.

You can also use custom js like this:

function dffs_PreSaveAction(){
        var currValue = dffs_beforeProperties.AppendCustom !== null ? dffs_beforeProperties.AppendCustom + "\n\n" : "";
        var newValue = new Date().toDateString() + " " + _spPageContextInfo.userDisplayName + "\n" + getFieldValue("Comment")
        setFieldValue("AppendCustom", currValue + newValue);
        return true;
      }

Alexander

Jorah Lavin
      Participant

Thank you, Alexander! I was able to get this running, and it’s very nice. This is what I ended up with in my Set Field Value:

=============================================
      Edited on [[timestamp:{“date”:”today”,”offsetDays”:0,”format”:”MM/dd/yy at HH:mm”}]] by [[currentuser:displayName]]
      Comment: [[fieldValue:Comment]]
      -=-
      [[fieldValue:History]]
      =============================================
      After seeing how this worked in DFFS I was able to replicate it in Power Automate as well, which will be handy for folks in the company who don’t have access to DFFS.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback – and thanks for sharing the soution.

Alexander

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.