Cascading Menu

Forums Modern DFFS Cascading Menu

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      William Summers
      Participant

Greetings. I have two fields. I see the dropdown option in the field properties but not sure i understand how to configure the child field based on the parent field. Field1 turns to a dropdown. Field2 dropdown but how do i filter it based on field1 returned value?

William Summers
      Participant

I wanted to add a little bit here.

In the image attached, the first field returns the value just fine looking up to the field internal name of “Title” in the source list.

In the field properties of the second field, which should depend on the value of the first field, I place the field internal name of “Title” from the source list as its dependant.

It does not throw an error BUT the dropdown does not…drop down lol.

hope this helps

Attachments:
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

In your L1 field you must use a filter like this in the REST filter to get a subset of items for the source list field:

Title eq '[[fieldValue:L0_Field_Name]]'

Replace “Title” with the name of the field in your lookup list where the value you want to show as options are stored and the “L0_Field_Name” with the internal name of your “L0” field in this form.

Alexander

William Summers
      Participant

Really appreciate the response as we try to figure out the cascading. I have attempted to write the query as stated. Dropdown of L1 still not returning values. let me make certain i understand.

“L0” properties =
      name of field you want to get your options from = “Title” (from source list, field internal name)
      Render field as dropdown = Yes

L1 properties =
      Name of field you want to get your values from = “RiskDriverTypeL0” (from source list, field internal name)
      Render field as dropdown = yes
      REST filter = RiskDriverTypeL1Name eq ‘[[fieldValue:RiskDriverTypeL0]]’

Where RiskDriverTypeL1Name is the internal field name in the source list and RiskDriverTypeL0 is the field internal name of the field in current list where the first level cascade comes from

Expected out put is RiskDriverTypeL0 is the parent field and RiskDriverTypeL1Name is the child and filtered based on what i pick in the “L0” field.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

It’s a bit hard to tell without looking at it, but I think you have it wrong.

As a general advice you should set up both dropdowns without cascading (filter) first – just to ensure you have them display the correct values. When they show the correct (but unfiltered results) you can apply the filter.

Back to the L1 config – this is how I think you should configure it:
      Name of field you want to get your values from = RiskDriverTypeL1

REST Filter = RiskDriverTypeL0Name eq '[[fieldValue:RiskDriverTypeL0]]'

Alexander

William Summers
      Participant

So you are correct. a valued friend, much smarter than I, helped me out based on your suggestion.

For others looking into this. I would like to explain how I understand it.

My Current active list we will call “Source”
      “Field1” is the parent field name
      “Field2” is the Child field name

My lookup list we will call “LookupList”
      “Title” is the Parent field name
      “Child” is the child field name

“Source” list
      “Field1” Properties
      Render field as a dropdown = “Yes”
      Display Name or GUID of source list = “LookupList”
      Internal name of field you want to get options from = “Title”

“Field2” Properties
      Render field as a dropdown = “Yes”
      Display Name or GUID of source list = “LookupList”
      Internal name of field you want to get options from = “Child”
      REST filter to get a subset of items for the source list = Title eq ‘[[fieldValue:Field1]]’

Where “Title” is the internal field name of the parent field in the lookuplist and “Field1” is the internal name of the parent field in source or current list.

I hope this helps peeps!

Again, thank you ALex and friend for helping me understand this!

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

I’m glad you figured it out!

Best regards,
        Alexander

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.