Cascading Dropdowns Autimatically Populate

Forums Cascading dropdowns Cascading Dropdowns Autimatically Populate

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Claude Cassidy
      Participant

Good afternoon Alexander.

Hope you are well during these uncertain times.

I have the following question with regards to the cascading dropdown functionality inside of DFFS.

We have a list that we are looking up to, the list includes managers as well as employees. I have now been given the task of creating a time sheet based off of this list.

Now what I have done is I have used the cascading dropdown functionality to get all of this information through, starting off with selecting the Manager, and then having the employees that work for that specific manager populate. The issue I am facing is that some managers have 5 employees under them and other managers have 40 employees under them.

My question to you is:

Is it possible to select the manager and have the employees that work for said manager auto populate?

So for instance, if I select Joe Soap as a Manager and he has 6 employees working under him, I need it to be able to prepopulate all information for all 6 of those employees.

Manager (Dropdown) Joe Soap

Employee 1 Code:
      Employee 1 Name:
      Employee 1 Surname

Employee 2 Code:
      Employee 2 Name:
      Employee 2 Surname:

Employee 3 Code:
      Employee 3 Name:
      Employee 3 Surname:

and so on and so forth.

The field names in the manager/user list are as follows:

Reports_x0020_To, Title, FirestNames, LastNames

And the names of the fields in the current list are as follows:

Manager_x0020_Name, Employee_x0020_Number, Employee_x0020_Name, Employee_x0020_Surname

So basically I need to be able to choose the Manager, once done, the employees that work under the chosen manager need to have their Employee Number, Employee Name and Employee Surname Populated.

So basically what I will have in the end is the following:

Employee Code
      Employee Name
      Employee Surname
      Day 1
      Day 2
      Day 3
      Day 4
      Day5
      Day 6
      Weekly Hours

Employee 2 Code
      Employee 2 Name
      Employee 2 Surname
      Day 1
      Day 2
      Day 3
      Day 4
      Day 5
      Weekly hours.

This will be for a timesheet that the managers will need to fill out weekly. The reason I have been asked to make all the employee details auto fill is because some managers have 40 employees underneath them, and they don’t want to have to manually select all 40 employees.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I don’t see how you can do this in one list item when you don’t have a fixed number of employees. It’s not practical to add 40+ sets of the same fields in a list – both because when one manager gets 41 employees it will break, but also because a list can only have a fixed number of fields and with a growing number of employee-placeholders (the set of the 10 fields) it will get close to this limit – ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/software-boundaries-and-limits#column-limits

Having one list item for each employee would fix this issue, but make the manager have to go trough 40+ list items to log the time for each employee each week. This last approach could work if your manager use quick-edit (datasheet view) to plot the numbers.

I can create the code to let you select the manager and then loop trough all the employees to fill in the field in the same list item, but you would have to add all the fields in this format:

1_Employee_Code
      1_Employee_Name
      1_Employee_Surname
      1_Day_1
      1_Day_2
      1_Day_3
      1_Day_4
      1_Day_5
      1_Weekly_hours

2_Employee_Code
      2_Employee_Name
      2_Employee_Surname
      2_Day_1
      2_Day_2
      2_Day_3
      2_Day_4
      2_Day_5
      2_Weekly_hours

and so on, but I’m not sure how practical a list like this will be.

Let me know what you think.

Alexander

Claude Cassidy
      Participant

Hi Alex.

You are correct, after trying to create 40 x each field I realized it was not practical.

We have managed to sort it out via a vLookup, pulling in the users that work under the current logged in user (built a query in the vLookup to check if the current logged in user is the same as the Manager.) This works 100%. So the Manager opens the form and the query automatically pulls his employees information through including days and week hours.

I have been tasked with embedding a list view on a separate tab, which I have done now, but have been asked to see if its possible to not show the SharePoint Menus but only to show the List itself. I have attached a screenshot of the Embedded list and highlighted in red what I have been asked to show. I have also added a screenshot of the HTML code I am currently using for the Embedded List

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

You can make this embedded view fullscreen by changing embed to iframe:

<iframe id="myEmbeddedListView" src="https://contoso.com/Lists/DFFS_TestList/AllItems.aspx" style="width:1000px;height:1000px">

Then add this to your Custom JS:

function makeFullScreen(){
          var isLoaded = document.getElementById("myEmbeddedListView").contentWindow.document.getElementById("s4-bodyContainer");
          if(isLoaded !== null){
              // Add timeout to ensure it is ready
              setTimeout(function(){
                  document.getElementById("myEmbeddedListView").contentWindow.document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].classList.add("ms-fullscreenmode");
              },500);
          }else{
              // Not ready yet
              setTimeout(function(){
                  makeFullScreen();
              },100);
          }
      }
      makeFullScreen();

Let me know how this works out.

Alexander

MikeS
      Participant

Alex,

I have a similar situation as above. I have a parent list that needs to import records from a child list (the child list contains boilerplate multi-line text that will be further custommized once in the parent list). The child list contains 20 records, 4 fields per record = 80 fields.

The user should be able to select any or all of the 20 records from the parent list and import all related fields for each child record to the parent list. Once imported the user must be able to edit the records in the parent list and export to a spreadsheet after editing.

Based on the above discussion it looks like vLookup is the way to approach this and avoid setting up 72 fields in the parent that replicate the child fields. However, I’m not sure your JS above will allow editing.

Do you agree or is there a better solution?

Thanks
      Mike

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

I’m not sure vLookup is what you are looking for, this is for creating child items and not picking from a ready set of selectable items.

Unfortunately for you I think you are looking at crating a custom solution as none of the plugins for DFFS can do this out of the box.

Alexander

MikeS
      Participant

If you can help I would prefer a custom JS. Unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have to create 80 fields in the parent if I wish to pull any number of records forward from the child list.

Could the code in these posts be expanded or combined:

https://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/send-vlookup-data-in-a-workflow-email/

https://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/set-value-from-vlookup-table-to-a-field-in-the-current-form/

It seems that others may benefit as well with a custom solution.

Thanks,
      Mike

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply. I’m not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do so I cannot really answer your questions.

If you can give me some more details I can look at it.

Depending on the complexity and how much help you need I might have to charge you for the time I spend, but I’ll not charge you anything before I have looked at any details you send and I have decided if it is something I can help you with or not.

Alexander

MikeS
      Participant

I was able to use the Autocomplete JS solution and it is working well. So no further action needed.

Mike

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

OK, I’m glad you found a solution.

Alexander

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.