Cascading Drop down filter by User Group

Forums Cascading dropdowns Cascading Drop down filter by User Group

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Heffner
      Participant

Good Day!

I was trying to figure out a way to keep my cascading drop downs exactly as they are now with the exception that I only want a few of the options available to only a certain SharePoint Group.

I tried to do a CAML query but even using one simple field it times out (listed below)

<where><eq><fieldref name=’Active’ /><Value Type=’Text’>Yes</value></eq></where>

I was going to work on the membership part after getting this simple one to work but it times out. Is my syntax wrong and is it possible to do what I am looking for?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

The CAML syntax is case sensitive – try it like this:

<Where><Eq><FieldRef Name='Active' /><Value Type='Text'>Yes</Value></Eq></Where>

Please note that if your “Active” field is yes/no checkbox (boolean) you must do it like this:

<Where><Eq><FieldRef Name='Active' /><Value Type='Boolean'>1</Value></Eq></Where>

You can use the Membership element like described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/schema/membership-element-query

Alexander

Paul Heffner
      Participant

Thank you for the fast reply. I have the active part working but still having trouble with the membership

<Where><And>

<Eq><FieldRef Name='Active' /><Value Type='Text'>Yes</Value></Eq>

<Eq><Membership Type=\"CurrentUserGroups\ "><Value Type='Text'>MIS Reporting Owners</Value></Membership></Eq>

</And></Where>

This is assuming the group name is MIS Reporting Owners

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

This is unfortunately not how the Membership check works in CAML. It will only check that you are a member of the group selected in the “Person or Group” field in each list item and not a general check to see if you are member of the group specified in a Value tag.

This means that if you use a query like this:

<Where>
        <And>
        <Eq><FieldRef Name='Active' /><Value Type='Text'>Yes</Value></Eq>
        <Eq><Membership Type='CurrentUserGroups'><FieldRef Name='AssignedTo' /></Membership></Eq>
        </And>
        </Where>

You would get back all items where Active = Yes and where the AssignedTo Person or Group field had a SharePoint group where you are member selected.

Depending on what you are trying to do, you can use custom js to check if the logged in user is in a specified group and then invoke different cascading dropdown functions (by building the function call in custom js and not use the cascading dropdown tab in DFFS) – where you use a different query to get the options.

Alexander

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.