Calculation in rules

Forums General discussion Calculation in rules

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Gerard Graham
      Participant

Hi there

Is there a way of triggering a rule based on a calculation? For example if a the difference between two dates is greater than 30 days? I know this can be done in the Validation Settings for the list, but I’d like the message to appear when the end date changes rather than when the user attempts to save the record.

Thanks

Gerry

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Currently you can do this calculation with [today] by comparing with [today]+30 (not currently documented), but not when comparing two date columns. I will however add this to the next release – BETA hopefully later tonight.

Alexander

Gerard Graham
      Participant

Cheers

Matthew Thompson
      Participant

was this able to be added? if so what would the calc be?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      You should be able to create a rule triggering on is greater than on lets say EndDate and select {StartDate}+30 in the This value field.

Alexander

Maciek Grischke
      Participant

Thanks for this!

I had to apply this rule in the holiday request form because people book holidays with wrong dates <facepalm>

Everything needs to be idiot proof lol

Maciek Grischke
      Participant

Alexander, since sharepoint accepts dates in dd.MM.yyyy format (full stop) and we have users who use dots, the rule above doesn’t seem to be working in this case.

Do I have to use JS replace() to each field or is there another way of doing this?

My region is set to UK.

Thanks.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. What format is your SP site showing by default, and what is your users typing in?

Does it show an error message in the field because of wrong format?

Alexander

Maciek Grischke
      Participant

Alexander,

Time in UK format is 06/05/2019 (with forward slash) and this is how it’s displayed in lists etc, however, users can enter this date as 06.05.2019 and SharePoint will accept it no problem. Unfortunately, when used with DFFS and the above snippet, there is no warning. The warning only works with 06/05/2019 date format.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m not sure how to fix this – the code looks at the default format for the input and can currently only calculate from this value. Maybe you can disable the input and force then to use the datepicker?

Alexander

Maciek Grischke
        Participant

How can I disable the manual input and force users to only use a “date picker”?
        I’ve tried with “read-only” option, but it disables the field entirely. There’s no date picker button.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      You must use Custom JS like this:

jQuery("#dffs_YourDateColumn input").attr("disabled",true);

Replace YourDateColumn with your field name.

Alexander

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.