Redirect from NewForm to EditForm in DFFS

Forums Classic DFFS Redirect from NewForm to EditForm in DFFS

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      soldier1733
      Participant

Per your article here you mentioned to add more lines for the data object for each field to push to save. I wanted to move the questions to your forum instead of the article.

After adding the code to your existing code, I keep receiving an error on the page (see attached image). I am using all Field Internal names for the data objects and there are no errors in the console only the pop up on the webpage. Not sure if this matters, but all fields beside Title and Office Location are people pickers.

Here is the modified code:

// Save NewForm.apsx and redirect to EditForm.aspx
      function saveAndRedir(){
      	setReqID();
      	var ok = spjs.dffs.check_Mandatory(["Title"]), data = {}, newItem;
      	if(ok){
      		data.Title = getFieldValue("Title");
      		data.Requestor = getFieldValue("Requestor");
      		data.Office_x0020_Location = getFieldValue("Office_x0020_Location");
      		data.Manager = getFieldValue("Manager");
      		data.GM = getFieldValue("GM");
      		data.COO = getFieldValue("COO");
      		data.CEO = getFieldValue("CEO");
      		newItem = spjs.utility.addItem(
      		{
      			"listName":_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,
      			"data":data
      		}
      		);
      		if(newItem.success){
      			location.href = location.pathname.substring(0,location.pathname.lastIndexOf("/")) + "/EditForm.aspx?ID="+newItem.id;
      		} else{
      			alert(newItem.errorText);
      		}
      	}
      }

Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by soldier1733.
      Attachments:
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

This most likely has to do with wrong format of the value in the data object. Which type of fields are the ones you try to update?

Use console.log to look at the data object before the “newItem =…” line – post the output here.

Alexander

soldier1733
      Participant

The fields I am trying to update are People Picker fields for SP2013. Here is the output of the data object:
      [object Object]
      {
      [functions]: ,
      CEO: [
      0: “Jane Doe”,
      length: 1
      ],
      COO: [
      0: “John Doe”,
      ],
      GM: [
      0: “Janice Doe”,
      ],
      Manager: [
      0: “Jeff Doe”,
      ],
      Office_x0020_Location: “Corporate”,
      Requestor: [
      0: “Janet Doe”,
      ],
      Title: “REQ2015-208”
      }

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Updating people pickers requires the ID and not the user display name – also the returned value is an array – so it fails on two fronts.

You can try using this code to get the ID of the pp:

data.GM = spjs.utility.userInfo(spjs.utility.getFieldValue({"fin":"GM","key":"loginName"})).ID

Alexander

soldier1733
      Participant

Thank you Alex, that did the trick!!

dinfante
      Participant

Thanks Alexander! that solved the same issue for me. What about field of type SPFieldDateTime? my field internal name is End_x0020_of_x0020_Week_x0020_Da

dinfante
      Participant

I only need the date portion

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

The date and time in SharePoint DB is stored in ISO8601 format – October 25 would be entered like this:

2015-10-25 00:00:00

Alexander

dinfante
      Participant

I meant what is the custom string command I use for a Date field for the redirect to work? I’ve tried several things and nothing seems to work. I keep getting “Invalid date/time value. A date/time field contains invalid data. Please check the value and try again.”

data.End_x0020_of_x0020_Week_x0020_Da = ?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

You must split the date and reassemble it in the correct format. If your date format is “US” like this: 10/27/2015 you can use something like this:

var d = getFieldValue("TheDateColName").split("/");
      data.End_x0020_of_x0020_Week_x0020_Da = d[2]+"-"+d[0]+"-"+d[1]+" 12:00:00";

Alexander

Penny Kingston
      Participant

Hi Alex, I have used your code for saving and redirecting a form using the code below. It works great except that the required field of “SalesID” no longer seems to be required.

It appears that the code checks the field but there is no alert that forces someone to populate the field. Do you have any suggestions for making the salesID required using this code?

function GoToEdit(){
      var ok = spjs.dffs.check_Mandatory([“SalesID”]),
      data = {},
      newItem,
      url;
      if(ok){
      data.SalesID = getFieldValue(“SalesID”);
      newItem = spjs.utility.addItem({“listName”:_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,”data”:data});
      if(newItem.success){
      url = location.pathname.substring(0,location.pathname.lastIndexOf(“/”)) + “/EditForm.aspx?ID=”+newItem.id;
      if(GetUrlKeyValue(“IsDlg”)===”1″){
      url += “&IsDlg=1”;
      }
      location.href = url;
      }else{
      }
      }
      }
      function PreSaveAction(){
      saveAndRedir();
      }

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I suspect the field “SalesID” is not flagged as required in your list. If this is the case, either set it as required (in DFFS or in the list settings) or add this line of code to the top of your function:

spjs.dffs.data.requiredFields.push("SalesID");

Hope this helps,
      Alexander

Penny Kingston
      Participant

Hi Alex,
      I did have the field set as required but your line of code worked perfectly!
      Many thanks!

Penny Kingston
      Participant

Alex,
      I am now trying to use the same code on the edit form to save and stay on the edit form. However, using the code above does not work because it tries to create a new item as opposed to saving the existing item. My guess is that I need to modify the newItem line:

NewItem = spjs.utility.addItem({“listName”:_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,”data”:data});

I have seen “spjs.utility.addItem” and “spjs.utility.DeleteItem” used in your blogs, do you have a command to edit, save or update an item?
      Thanks!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      In editform you must use “spjs.utility.updateItem” like this:

spjs.utility.updateItem({"listName":_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,"id":spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID,"data":{"Title":"New title value"}});

Alexander

Penny Kingston
      Participant

Hi again,
      This code works and appears to update the “title” field with the pre-defined text “New Title Value”. How could I make this work to update any and all changes to any fields within the form? (There is no way to pre define them.)
      Thanks!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      It was only an example – just replace the

spjs.utility.addItem({...

function with the one from the example, and use the “data” variable instead of the {“Title”:”New title value”} example.

Alexander

Penny Kingston
      Participant

This is my new code for the “save and edit” button. It is not saving any new or updated data, it is simply refreshing the original data. Thanks again!

function GoToEdit(){
      spjs.dffs.data.requiredFields.push(“SalesID”);
      data = {};
      updateItem = spjs.utility.updateItem({“listName”:_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,”id”:spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID,”data”: data });
      if(updateItem.success){location.href = location.href;
      }else{alert(updateItem.errorText);} }

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      To use this approach you skip the default save method in SharePoint and basically “inject” the data using the “updateItem” function. This means you must add ALL field data (or at least the fields that are changed) to the “data” object.

In your code example you pass an empty object, and thus no data is updated.

Alexander

Colin
      Participant

Would it be possible to get this redirect and save without close functionality built into the configuration forms?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m still on the lookout for a good method to handle the redirect in SP 2013, but will hopefully be able to solve this soon. When it comes to “save and stay in form”, I might be able to add it in a later version, but it’s not so easy to support all kind of fields in a consistent way so I cannot promise anything.

Alexander

Jeff Lynch
      Participant

I am having a very hard time getting a lookup field to populate as an additional field.
      I’ve pulled it out in console.log and it is a string and it is populated with getFieldValue but i get a generic error “The operation failed because an unexpected error occured”.

I pulled the value out and set it as a variable…same result here is my code, any ideas on how to populate a Lookup field?

function saveAndRedir(){
      var ok = spjs.dffs.check_Mandatory([“Title”]), data = {}, newItem, url;
      var subcat = getFieldValue(“Sub_x0020_Category”);
      if(ok){
      data.Title = (“Title”);
      data.Sub_x0020_Category = subcat;

newItem = spjs.utility.addItem({“listName”:_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,”data”:data});
      if(newItem.success){
      url = location.pathname.substring(0,location.pathname.lastIndexOf(“/”)) + “/EditForm.aspx?ID=”+newItem.id;
      if(GetUrlKeyValue(“IsDlg”)===”1″){
      url += “&IsDlg=1”;
      }
      location.href = url;
      }else{
      }
      }
      }

function PreSaveAction(){
      saveAndRedir();
      return false;
      }

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Setting a lookup column in code like this requires you to pass the ID of the lookup and not the label. This would be the correct format in your data object:

data.Sub_x0020_Category = "123;#;#";

You can try this snippet in your form:

var subcat = jQuery("#dffs_Sub_x0020_Category1").find("select option:selected").val();
      data.Sub_x0020_Category = subcat + ";#;#";

Alexander

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.