Modern DFFS not loading

Home Forums Modern DFFS Modern DFFS not loading

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

There is an issue related to the new modern list view UI that Microsoft is introducing. This new UI does not currently support the technology used to build solutions like the Modern DFFS (ListView Command Set extension). Until it does, if solutions like the Modern DFFS is active in the list, it should force the list to remain in the “old modern list view UI”.

There is however some issues that sometimes make solutions like the Modern DFFS not load, or the list view to shift over to the “new modern UI” (not showing the banner buttons and not loading the solution).

Until Microsoft adds support for list view commend set solutions in the new modern UI, you can work around this issue by stopping sync on the list in Microsoft Lists.

Click the waffle icon in the top left corner of your SharePoint site, select Lists and when you find your list, click the … link and then click Stop syncing.

Alexander

Travis Goodman
        Participant

Hey Alexander, I’m ramping up my development with modern DFFS and I’ll have a list of requests to send your way knowing they are probably on your to-do list anyway.

I want to ask something related to this, are there any plans (or is it even possible?) that we can instruct our DFFS installation on what lists we want DFFS to appear in the list menu for? That way for lists where we do not plan to implement DFFS, we can take advantage of the new list UI without having it disabled?

Alternatively, if there are plans to make DFFS play nice with the new UI, then this is moot.

Thanks!

Alexander Bautz
            Keymaster

The problem with the new UI is entirely up to Microsoft to fix. They have not added support for field or list customizers in the new IU yet, and they have therefore disable it for all lists where a field or list customizer is present.

Microsoft are working on it, and when they are ready I’ll make any changes necessary to make the Modern DFFS work in the new UI.

When that is said, there is no way to only activate the modern DFFS in some lists.

Just send me your requests by email and please include some business cases that I can prepare for a future demonstration.

Alexander

Travis Goodman
            Participant

It appears Microsoft has pushed another update, and now DFFS won’t load at all for modern. What’s even worse is the workaround you gave, I followed it, but there is no “stop syncing” on the list this is occurring on. Only options I have are Settings, Share, and Remove from recent lists.

Travis Goodman
              Participant

The newest modern list UI stays on the list view, it does not revert back to the original modern ui. When I click the … menu of an item, I get this console error:

dffs-command-set_baa…afc9128cff82b7.js:2
                Uncaught
                TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading ‘querySelector’)
                at p (dffs-command-set_baa…ff82b7.js:2:3215935)
                at dffs-command-set_baa…ff82b7.js:2:3217483
                at HTMLBodyElement.<anonymous> (dffs-command-set_baa…ff82b7.js:2:3210293)
                p @ dffs-command-set_baa…afc9128cff82b7.js:2
                (anonymous) @ dffs-command-set_baa…afc9128cff82b7.js:2
                (anonymous) @ dffs-command-set_baa…afc9128cff82b7.js:2

I do have a workaround right now where if you click the checkbox next to the title of the item on the far left, you will then get the Edit button in the list navbar, and when you click the edit button there, you can view your item with Modern DFFS.

That’s all I have for right now, I will follow up as soon as I get more information.

Travis Goodman
                Participant

I get the exact same console error if I click on the Title as well, not just the … menu

Travis Goodman
                  Participant

Found another interesting workaround. If I double or triple click the title rapidly (within less than 1 second) the form pops up. The console still throws the error I sent above, but it does load the form if I click the title a few times rapidly. This is bizarre.

Travis Goodman
                    Participant

Alexander, attached you will find the console log file.

Alexander Bautz
                      Keymaster

Thanks for letting me know. Now that the new UI is rolled out and the command set extension can be properly tested, there are some changes I need to do to make it properly override the out of the box form.

Right click > Edit still works, but click on title and … does not.

I’ll look through it and try to get it fixed later today or tomorrow and release a new version.

Alexander

Travis Goodman
                        Participant

Thanks, and posting this message to test if I have posting privileges back. The site marked me for spam when I tried to add the log attachment lol.

Alexander Bautz
                          Keymaster

I have released a new version of the Modern DFFS that should fix the problem with the new Modern UI that Microsoft have pushed on September 4, 2024.

Read more here: https://spjsblog.com/2024/09/04/modern-dffs-v1-0-66-0-has-been-released/

Please let me know how it works out – and let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
                            Alexander

Wayne Thompson
                            Participant

Hi Alexander! 🙂

Thanks so much for the new version of the Modern DFFS that fixes the problem with the new Modern UI that Microsoft have pushed on September 4, 2024.

The Title linked to item now works but the “New” button in the Microsoft List UI does not override the out of the box form with the Modern DFFS solution.

Thanks,
                              Wayne

Alexander Bautz
                                Keymaster

Hi Wayne,
                                  I’m not able to recreate this issue. I have tried both with “single action” button and “double action” where you get a dropdown to select item or folder.

Can you give me some more information (and possibly a screenshot)?

Best regards,
                                  Alexander

Wayne Thompson
                                  Participant

The Title linked to item now works but the “New” button in the Microsoft List UI does not override the out of the box form with the Modern DFFS solution at least in my existing lists in my environment. See attached screenshot.

Thanks,
                                    Wayne

Alexander Bautz
                                    Keymaster

It looks like the “new item” button is different when you have the “Settings > Advance settings > Allow management of content types” turned on.

I’ll look into it and fix it. If you don’t actually use content types you can turn it off to fix the problem.

Alexander

Wayne Thompson
                                    Participant

Sometimes the Title linked to item DOES work in any EXISTING list.
                                      Sometimes the Title linked to item does NOT work in any EXISTING list.
                                      Sometimes The “New” button in the Microsoft List UI does NOT work in any EXISTING list.
                                      Sometimes The “New” button in the Microsoft List UI does WORK in any EXISTING list.

The Title linked to item does “NOT” work in any NEW list I create.
                                      The “New” button in the Microsoft List UI “DOES” work in any NEW lists I create.

See attached screenshot.

Thanks,
                                      Wayne

Alexander Bautz
                                        Keymaster

Are you sure you have DispForm configured with DFFS for the list? – the title-click only opens DFFS if DFFS is configured.

Please note that it looks like the “Sync” feature must still be turned OFF for the command-set-extension to load – read more here.

Alexander

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Alexander Bautz. Reason: Fixed link
                                        Wayne Thompson
                                        Participant

Thanks Alexander! 🙂

I did forget to configure the DispForm with DFFS for the New List.

So NEW lists look to be okay!

I am still faced with this error as originally reported in my environment:

The “New” button in the Microsoft List UI does NOT work in any EXISTING list.

Thanks for your patience.
                                          Wayne

Alexander Bautz
                                          Keymaster

No problem,
                                            I’ll fix the issue related to lists with content types turned on later tonight. If you only use the Item content type in your list you can turn it off under “List settings > Advance settings > Allow management of content types”.

Alexander

Wayne Thompson
                                              Participant

Bingo, master developer! 🙂

The issue is addressed if I turn off “Allow management of content types”.

As always thanks again for addressing every scenario we bring to you.

Wayne

Travis Goodman
                                              Participant

I have a totally different problem. I have deployed v1.0.66 and now DFFS isn’t showing up at all. New, Edit, Display, doesn’t matter. DFFS button doesn’t even show in the list menu bar anymore either. I’m going to have to revert back.

Travis Goodman
                                                Participant

I reverted back to v1.0.64 which is the last version I had installed. That put DFFS back on the list menu and restored my form. This is on a production site, so I couldn’t afford to leave it on and troubleshoot. I will try and find a low traffic site I can put it on and see if I can help find the issue.

Alexander Bautz
                                                    Keymaster

Not sure what that could be. Did you see any errors in the developer tools (F12 > Console)?

Also, does your list load with the “New modern UI” or the “Old modern UI”?

Did you try turning off “Sync” as described in the first post in this thread?

You can email me any screenshots or other information.

Alexander

Travis Goodman
                                                    Participant

I’ll try to install the updated version tonight when no one is working in the list and see if I can identify any specific errors. You mention turning off sync, but what’s interesting is that’s not an option on this list. There are other lists where it is, and I have turned it off, but not on this one in particular. This isn’t the only list like that either, there are others where sync is not listed. It was still loading with new modern UI when I updated DFFS, it was not reverting back to old modern UI. Ideally getting them to co-exist would be great!

Alexander Bautz
                                                        Keymaster

I found an article online (an old one from 2022 – link) mentioning that different “complex” field types like lookups or managed metadata will stop syncing of that list. Microsoft has most likely changed the functionality since that article, but I assume it might be something like that preventing you from finding the “stop syncing” option.

Alexander

Travis Goodman
                                                          Participant

That tracks, I do have both lookup and managed metadata fields in this list.

Amal Vellappillil
                                                          Participant

I am having similar (but may be different) issue. I am using v1.0.66.0.
                                                            I had exported configuration for a list from our on-premise SharePoint to SharePoint online list. I imported settings for view and edit, both imported fine and the form loads when clicked I try to view or edit a record. However, I am unable to go back into the configuration for these forms anymore. I see there are some errors in the dev console. I have attached a screenshot here.

So instead of importing the configuration for “New” form, I just created one default one. The form loads and I am able to go back and edit the configuration for “New” form as well.

It feels like the import may have brought in some old code that is messing with the way Modern DFFS works. The exported configuration had custom js and custom css in it.

Is there a way to remove configuration from a particular list form? I was unable to find that information as well.

Alexander Bautz
                                                            Keymaster

There is most likely a compatibility issue with the old config. If you could email me the form configuration for the form that is not working that would help me identifying the problem.

You can find the config by opening this list (it is hidden from site contents so you must type in the URL):

/sites/your_site/lists/DFFSConfigurationList/

Send me both the FormJSON and the RulesJSON.

You can find my email address in the Contact tab at the top of the page.

Alexander

Amal Vellappillil
                                                              Participant

Email with attachments have been sent.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.