Make sure email has a valid recipient

Home Forums Modern DFFS Make sure email has a valid recipient

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Amal Vellappillil
      Participant

Hi Alex,

I am encountering an error while trying to send an email from DFFS. Error pop up shows message “The e-mail cannot be sent. Make sure the e-mail has a valid recipient. Here is the setup.

Form: Edit form
        Trigger: before save
        Actions: Prepare an email
        Email has all the required fields. Its a simple test list. When an item is saved
        – I see the following in network tab
        Request URL: https://xxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxxx/_api/SP.Utilities.Utility.SendEmail
        Request Method: POST
        Status Code: 400 Bad Request
        Payload: {“properties”:{“To”:[“webadmin@ltp.org”],”Subject”:”Test email”,”Body”:”test email”}}

Response is
        {
        “odata.error”: {
        “code”: “-2130242040, Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException”,
        “message”: {
        “lang”: “en-US”,
        “value”: “The e-mail message cannot be sent. Make sure the e-mail has a valid recipient.”
        }
        }
        }

Please advise

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

Hi,
          Is the email address in the “To” field a valid user in the same domain as the SharePoint site where you are sending the email?

Alexander

Amal Vellappillil
          Participant

Hi Alex,

Yes, it’s a valid user account in the same domain. Does the user/email need to have access to the SharePoint site to receive emails? The power automate flow I set up worked with the email address that is failing with DFFS.

Alexander Bautz
            Keymaster

When using the SP.Utilities.Utility.SendEmail endpoint the user must be in the User information list in the SiteCollection for it to work (must be added to a SharePoint group).

I’ll take a look and see if I might be able to run ensureUser on the person in the To-field (to add the user if it is not already in the User Information list) before processing the email in a later version.

Alexander

Amal Vellappillil
              Participant

Thank you for looking into this. So does that mean:
                – We cannot send an email to a email distribution group where there is no actual login?
                – We cannot send email to external email addresses? (Example a vendor email address)

Also is there a way to send email as a particular email address? (Set the From email address)

Alexander Bautz
                Keymaster

Hi,
                  Yes, this means these email can only be sent to users registered in the SharePoint site collection. To send to a distribution list using this email method you will have to convert it to a mail enabled security group.

It is not possible to change the “From” address.

To be able to send to external / non-members of the site collection you must set up a FLOW and process the email there.

This is not limitations in DFFS, but in the built-in SharePoint REST API used to process the emails.

Alexander

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.