Require vLookup Values on New form

Forums vLooup for SharePoint Require vLookup Values on New form

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alexander Bautz 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jeff Lynch
    Participant

I have a requirement to add validation that a vLookup has values or in this case documents uploaded.

I tried this:
    function dffs_PreSaveAction(){
    var hasChildren = false;
    if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“The_name_or_your_vLookupField”] !== undefined){
    hasChildren = true;
    }
    if(!hasChildren){
    alert(“You must add a child item before you can save this item”);
    return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

but it doesn’t work on either the edit or new form. I used it in a script editor but maybe i need to reference a file or ?
    then i added it to custom js on the edit form and called dffs_PreSaveAction in rule on save, still nothing. not sure what I am doing wrong or if it will work on a new form? please help.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

You need to change The_name_or_your_vLookupField with the actual fieldinternalname of your vLookup column – you find it in the Fields tab.

Alexander

Jeff Lynch
    Participant

yes i did that, this was just the base code:

var hasChildren = false;
    if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”] !== undefined){
    hasChildren = true;
    }
    if(!hasChildren){
    alert(“You must add items before you can save the PRF!”);
    return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

AdamP
    Participant

I’ve only used this snippet a couple of times, but I don’t think you need to call it in a rule on save, dffs_PreSaveAction() knows to run when the form is saved. Just add it to custom JS.

Adam

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Hi,
    If you want this to be required on save it must be added to the PreSaveAction function, but I had an error in the original code snippet – I have updated it here – please let me know how it works out.

Alexander

Jeff Lynch
    Participant

this works great. now they want multiple vLookups to be required, I’m thinking add it to the same function so like this…

var hasChildren = false;
    var hasChildren1 = false;
    var hasChildren2 = false;

if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].count > 0){
    hasChildren = true;
    }
    if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupW9”] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupW9”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupW9”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].count > 0){
    hasChildren1 = true;
    }
    if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupContract”] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupContract”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupContract”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].count > 0){
    hasChildren2 = true;
    }
    if(!hasChildren){
    alert(“You must add an Item to this request”);
    return false;
    }
    if(!hasChildren1){
    alert(“You must add the W9 to this request”);
    return false;
    }
    if(!hasChildren2){
    alert(“You must add the Contract to this request”);
    return false;
    }
    return true;

}

question is will it throw all three errors or just the first one with this…I’ll test and see.

Jeff Lynch
    Participant

On testing the validation does not work on a New Form because it always returns spjs.vLookup.dataObj as undefined in a new form. It works in the edit for so I will have to have the user click create and continue editing on New Form it appears.

Is there a way to make it work on the new form? I would think it would be difficult.

Jeff Lynch
    Participant

Final solution – save New Form and continue on to Edit form with dffs special feature, then use this code to build the error message:

var hasChildren = false;
    var hasChildren1 = false;
    var hasChildren2 = false;
    var message=””;

if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupItems”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].count > 0){
    hasChildren = true;
    }
    if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupW9”] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupW9”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupW9”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].count > 0){
    hasChildren1 = true;
    }
    if(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupContract”] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupContract”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID] !== undefined && spjs.vLookup.dataObj[“vLookupContract”][spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].count > 0){
    hasChildren2 = true;
    }
    if(!hasChildren){
    message += “You must add an Item to this request”;

if(!hasChildren1){
    message += “You must add the W9 to this request”;

}
    if(!hasChildren2){
    message += “You must add the Contract to this request”;

}
    if (message != “”){
    alert(message);
    return false;}
    return true;

}

Jeff Lynch
    Participant

only change is on the first two message strings add \n to the end for a new line.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply – I’m glad you found a workaround, but you can use it in NewForm. Because the item doesn’t have an ID (it hasn’t been saved yet) I use the value from the field getFieldValue(“_vLookupID”) and not spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID when accessing the dataObj in NewForm – like this:

spjs.vLookup.dataObj["vLookupTasks"][getFieldValue("_vLookupID")]

Alexander

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.