Remove first p tag from rich text fields

Forums General discussion Remove first p tag from rich text fields

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Roelof Meijer
      Participant

I want to remove the first p tag from an enhanced richt text field. This is the paragraph that SharePoint wraps the text in by default. And this p tag is prepended by a div with a classname that starts with “ExternalClass”
      I created this function in the Custom JS tab:

function hanldeRTEfields (){
              var pTags = $("div[class^='ExternalClass']>p:first-child");
              pTags.contents().unwrap();
            }

This function is called in the rule that triggers when form is saved. The result is that the rich text fields are empty. How come? Is there another way to change the content of a rich text field on save?o

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Roelof Meijer.
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      You can try this one that replaces all p-tags with span-tags, but I’m not sure how it will work out:

function dffs_PreSaveAction(){
          var rteContents = getFieldValue("FIELDINTERNALNAME").split("<p>").join("<span>").split("</p>").join("</span>");
          setFieldValue("FIELDINTERNALNAME",rteContents);
      }

Add the code to the Custom JS in DFFS, and replace the “FIELDINTERNALNAME” with your fields name.

Alexander

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Alexander Bautz. Reason: Fixed an error in the code snippet
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Alexander Bautz.
        Roelof Meijer
        Participant

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply. I am now half way there. When I combine your dffs_PerSaveAction with my code it works for editting an item. But not when inserting a new item. Then I’m still left with the div and P tag

So this script helps when editing an item

//var rteContents = getFieldValue("Nature").split(/<p>|<\/p>/).join("<span>");
           //setFieldValue("Nature",rteContents);
            var pTags = $("div[class^='ExternalClass']>p:first-child");
            pTags.contents().unwrap();
        }

The split/join statement (that you suggested) did not help. The html in the text field still kept the div and p tag (both on insert and edit).

Is there maybe an equivalent function in dffs that fires like an “item-added” trigger

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I don’t think the div with class “ExternalClass” is actually added until it is saved. This mean you must use another “selector” to get the value in NewForm. Are you sure it is the div that adds your whitespace? – I actually think it is the p-tag.

I’m not sure it does any difference, but I had an error in my original code snippet that I edited after I first posted it – look at it above and see if it might help.

Alexander

Roelof Meijer
      Participant

Hi,
      This one works, but does too much. All p tags are replaced. And what is needed is that only the first p tag is replace and only then, when there is no preceding text. Otherwise we would and up replacing every p tag on subsequent updates. So I would need a split/join of the first occurrence only, which is not preceded by text. Is that possible?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m not sure how this works when you use it in Word, but try setting margin=0 in the first P in NewForm using this code:

var rteContents = getFieldValue("FIELDINTERNALNAME").replace("<p>","<p style='margin:0;'>");
          setFieldValue("FIELDINTERNALNAME",rteContents);
      }

Alexander

Roelof Meijer
      Participant

Hi Alexander,
      Thanks for your reply.
      Unfortunately this does not make a difference.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Maybe you could rearrange your word file setup so the padding above the RTE doesn’t matter?

If you maybe use a setup like this:

FieldLabel1 | FieldValue1 = two columns
      —————————————-
      FieldLabel2 | FieldValue2 = two columns
      —————————————-
      FieldLabel for RTE = one column (colspan = 2)
      —————————————-
      FieldValue for RTE = one column (colspan = 2)
      —————————————-

Alexander

Roelof Meijer
      Participant

I managed to convince the end users that it would be better to go for plain text fields (Multi line). So this is not a problem to me anymore. It still is intriguing riddle, though.
      Thanks for the help.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.