Multi-select cascade to multi-choice

Forums Cascading dropdowns Multi-select cascade to multi-choice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      chgrnet
      Participant

I love your cascades, they are easy to setup and use.

I have a need to have selections in a cascade be filter selections in a list/datasheet view. I know that a multi-line of text field does not do that, but is there a way, if I created a new (hidden) multi-choice field, to output the data from the cascade multi-line of text to the (hidden) multi-choice? The “hidden” multi-choice field would only ever be updated when the form is updated (EditForm.aspx) and the cascade changes.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Sorry, but I’m not sure how this will work out – it seems kind of cumbersome. How would you pass the filters to the datasheed view?

Alexander

chgrnet
        Participant

When in a datasheet or list view, when you use a lookup or choice/multi-choice you can use the title row to filter items in the list. Because your cascades for multi are a multi-text, this is not available. I do need this filter ability, so I was wondering if there was a way to write code to another field that could allow a paste into a multi-choice field (in the background). Your fields display like this:
        Item 1;
        Item 2;
        Item 3;

To paste into a multi-choice, they need to be formatted like this:
        ;#Item 1;#Item 2;#Item 3;#

If I can format the data like above, and put it in another field (it can be a multi-line text), then I could get it into a multi-choice, and what I need to do can be done. This transfer would happen in the background and the field would be hidden on the form, but I would show it on the list or datasheet view.

I understand if my ask does not make sense, and it may not be possible, and that is fine. I really wanted to use your cascades, but I have to be able to filter the data from a list or datasheet view and right now, it won’t work.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I don’t think this world work that well because you would have to maintain a multiselect field with all possible options you could select in the cascading dropdown.

I’m guessing you are better off using the built in multilookup field in SharePoint.

Alexander

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.