Using a multi-line column as a lookup

Forums General discussion Using a multi-line column as a lookup

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John Freemont
      Participant

Hi.

I’m using SharePoint Online with DFFS and have a requirement to relate one list to another. Unfortunately the user experience requires the use of a multi-line description field from List A to relate to List B but using a Lookup column in List B it isn’t allowed to use a multi-line column.

Can anyone help with how I can create an experience when the user is creating a new item or editing an item in List B where they can see the values in the multi-line column (DESCRIPTION in example below) to select from but the value of a calculated ID column (CALCULATEDID) is stored to link the two together?

e.g.

**LIST A**
      TITLE DESCRIPTION CALCULATEDID
      Blank Lorem Ipsum…. LISTA-001

**LIST B**
      TITLE DESCRIPTION LISTA_RELATIONSHIP LISTA_DESCRIPTION
      Blank Lorem Ipsum…. LISTA-001 Lorem Ipsum…

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by John Freemont.
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply. I’m not 100% sure I understand what you try to do. How long text are you planning to have in the multiline textfield? – it will be quite difficult for the user to pick the correct one from a dropdown if the text is super long?

Are you using the multiline text only to identify the correct “mother” in list A, or do you want to replicate / show the text in list B?

Maybe you can try this old solution? Read the comments about using it with DFFS.

Alexadner

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.