AutoComplete Source from API

Forums Autocomplete AutoComplete Source from API

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kasey
      Participant

Alex,

I’m wondering if it would be possible to use AutoComplete with a datasource of an external REST API instead of a SharePoint list? If not I’ll go down the jQuery UI AutoComplete path but I like yours better.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Kasey. Reason: Wrong forum
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I haven’t added any official method to override this, but you can hack it by overriding the default function for getting the items like this:

// Copy default function
      spjs.ac.getAllItemsREST_old = spjs.ac.getAllItemsREST;
      // Override default function
      spjs.ac.getAllItemsREST = function (argObj) {
          // Add your custom code here and ensure the output is in this format - including the fields you have specified as "ShowField", "SearchField" and "optionDetailFields":
          spjs.ac.data.dataObj[argObj.applyTo] = {
              "done": true,
              "items": [
                  {
                      "ID": 1,
                      "Title": "Item 1"
                  },
                  {
                      "ID": 2,
                      "Title": "Item 2"
                  }
              ]
          };
          setTimeout(function () {
              jQspjs("#spjs_acspinner_" + argObj.applyTo).hide().next().show();
              spjs.ac.data.loadFinished = new Date().valueOf();
          }, 100);
      };

This function must be placed ABOVE the call to spjs.ac.textField({…}); and you must use the following settings:

"useREST":true,
      "preloadData":true,

If you use autocomplete for other fields and want to use the built in function for those, you must reset the function back to the default after you have finished calling the one using the custom function – do it like this:

// Reset default function
      spjs.ac.getAllItemsREST = spjs.ac.getAllItemsREST_old;

Let me know how this works out.

Alexander

lzuhuo
      Participant

Hi Alex.
      This is really useful for my projects.
      So, I wonder know, if is it possible update items array with new data while the user typing. For example: I have an ajax request API to return more then 45.000 users, but I want to filter using part of user full name on query. The objective is return less results then 45.000.

lzuhuo
      Participant

Let’s Go

I tryed to use filterREST but is not exacly what I need.
      For example:
      Full Name: Elizeu Eslon Marinho Oliveira.
      When the length of the user’s string typed is more then 5, I use an Ajax API resquest to return a JSON object and insert in “obj_aluno” in this part:

spjs.ac.data.dataObj[argObj.applyTo] = {
      “done”: true,
      “items”: obj_aluno
      };

Until this part, the AC Solution works fine. But when the user type in the same field, a diferent name, I intend call another Ajax API request, with another object, and I cant update the spjs.ac.data.dataObj without kill the AC function to reload new options.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m sorry, but this is not supported. Why are you using a separate Ajax request? – is the data not in a SharePoint list?

Alexander

lzuhuo
      Participant

No. I published an C# Api on Sharepoint IIS to retrieve data from another database as JSON. Much better and faster then using External List Connection.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

If your Ajax request gets all the items and you modify the spjs.ac.getAllItemsREST function like my example in my reply above it should work, but if your Ajax request only gets a subset of items based on your input in the field it won’t work without modifying other parts of the code.

Alexander

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.