LookUp Field – Retain Link as Read Only

Forums Classic DFFS LookUp Field – Retain Link as Read Only

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Brandon W Green
      Participant

Searched few quite a number of LookUp threads and was unable to find my solution, likely due to my ignorance and am hoping it is a quick fix.

I have a LookUp column on my New Form that the user selects an ID from a secondary list. This creates the desired, linked touch point on the Display Form – however, I need this same link to be available on the Edit Form.

Issue: I can bring the content in, but converting to Read Only removes the linked function of the LookUp content.

Is there a way to display this link on the Edit form that I am completely overlooking?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

When setting a lookup item as readonly in EditForm you only get the text and note the link. I have created a snippet you can use to hide the dropdown select and insert a link to the selected list item, but keep in mind that if you let the user open a child item, he might very well forget to save the changes in the original form.

function getLookupItemLinkInEditForm(fin){
          var opt, id, title, url;
          opt = jQuery("#dffs_"+fin+" option:selected");
          id = opt.val();
          title = opt.text();
          url = "https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/thesite/lists/thelist/DispForm.aspx?id="+id;
          jQuery("#dffs_"+fin+" select").hide().after("<a style='cursor:pointer;' onclick='openLookupItemInDlg(\""+url+"\");'>"+title+"</a>");

}

function openLookupItemInDlg(url){
          SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog({"url":url,"dialogReturnValueCallback":function(a){
              if(a === 1){
                  // Item was edited in the dialog
              }
          }});
      }

getLookupItemLinkInEditForm("NameOfYourLookupColumn");

Change “https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/thesite/lists/thelist&#8221; to reflect the path to the list where the lookup item is located.

Alexander

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.