How to connect two fields to one dropdown

Forums Cascading dropdowns How to connect two fields to one dropdown

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ezra Goodnoe
      Participant

I am struggling to configure a form so that when I select an option in a drop down, two fields respond – one gives choices (one to many) the other auto-populates (one to one). Eg. I have a list with organizational structure (managers) and associated teams and I want the user to be able to select a Level 1 Manager and have one field return as a dropdown of 2nd-level Managers and another text field automatically display the name of the team that Level 1 Manager ‘owns’. I also want this behavior for 2nd and 3rd-level managers. Is this possible or am I asking too much of the plug-in?

This could be asked more generally in the following way:

Given the following fields: Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4,Field5,Field6
      And the following relationships:
      Field1>Field2
      Field3>Field4
      Field5>Field6
      Field1>Field3>Field5
      I want the following behavior:
      select from Field1: Field2 autopopulates and Field3 returns filtered list of values

The root question is: how would I configure the sections in the Cascading Dropdowns tab to accommodate this?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      This cannot be done without the use of some custom js. I’m currently on holiday, but can help you with this code when I return home in about 10 days. Please email me some screenshots of your lists (both the org structure and the form you are trying to configure) so I can set it up in my test site.

Alexander

MikeS
      Participant

I would also be interested in this solution. Thank you for your help.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Look at this post which describes how you can create cascading dropdowns by chaining together multiple SPJS-Lookup fields: https://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/combing-spjs-lookup-with-cascading-dropdowns/#post-9408

Alexander

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.