Error when opening editform

Forums Classic DFFS Error when opening editform

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant

I created new and display forms correctly but once I created an edit form I began getting an error whenever I click on edit from within a display item form.

I am about to try removing all configuration and starting from scratch but am posting the error here in case anyone has come across this before…

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.
      ——————————————————————————–

Input string was not in a correct format.
      Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
         System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) +14281985
         System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) +305
         Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContext.GetContentTypeThroughQueryString(String strIdx) +384
      Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant

As best I can see by starting with a blank configuration, just adding a DFFS display form with a tab causes the error above. Removing the tab and all seems to be well.

Should display forms be able to use tabs ?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

There is no known problems like this. Is the form modified in SharePoint Designer?

How does the URL from the address bar look like when you experience this error – post the link her but change the domain name to “example.com” or something like this.

Alexander

Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant

This is the link to the display form (I am using modal forms).
      http://example.com/kgcontacts/_layouts/15/listform.aspx?PageType=4&ListId=%7BDA04CBD8%2D220D%2D44DB%2D9151%2DBE54BF1DB0C9%7D&ID=5818&ContentTypeID=

Here is the url of the modal with the error –>
      http://example.com/kgcontacts/Lists/Contacts/EditForm.aspx?ID=5818&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fgcmdevportal2013%2Ekrys%2Dglobal%2Ecom%2Fkgcontacts%2FSitePages%2FHome%2Easpx&ContentTypeId=&IsDlg=1

`[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
      System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) +14281985
      System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) +305
      Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContext.GetContentTypeThroughQueryString(String strIdx) +384
      Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContext.ContentTypeInternal(String contentTypeId) +284
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormWebPart.get_TemplateName() +71
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormWebPart.ShowRibbon() +453
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormWebPart.OnInit(EventArgs e) +349
      System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +186
      System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +189
      System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartManagerControlCollection.AddWebPartHelper(WebPart webPart) +402
      System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartManagerControlCollection.AddWebPart(WebPart webPart) +2736250
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.AddWebPartWithRetry(WebPart webPart) +939
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.CreateWebPartsFromRowSetData(Boolean onlyInitializeClosedWebParts) +8612
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.LoadWebParts() +156
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.OnPageInitComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e) +328
      System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
      System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2324

Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant
      Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant

This seems to be related to using tabs in the display form. I have just made a basic tab and left it to show all fields.

This particular list is a sp2013 contacts list with some extra columns , event handlers etc. So content types are active.

Does the following indicate DFFS is having trouble determining the content type ?

If I select the item and use the ribbon to edit it works.
      If I select the item and use the ribbon to view and then use either the ribbon or the DFFS button to edit it works.

If I click to view the item and then try to use either the ribbon or DFFS button to edit it fails with that error.

Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant

Apologies for the forum spam.

I think I have a lead on my issue. I have been moving the item link in a default sp2013 contact list from last name to ‘fullname’. I think if I do this and have a view that does not also include the lastname(with link to item) in it, then my link does not have the contenttype in the url.

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

Hi,
        I did a quick test in a list by entering EditForm and changing the “ContentTypeId” to a blank string like this:

.../Lists/Tasks/EditForm.aspx?ID=14&ContentTypeId=

This gives me the “Sorry, something went wrong” message with “An unexpected error has occurred”.

I don’t think this error has anything to do with DFFS, but it is a general error from SharePoint.

I hope you can sort it out.

Alexander

Yucel Cagri
        Participant

Couple of more observations on this issue:

1. As mentioned, it gets resolved when linktoItem is added to the list. I had a very similar issue with Asset Lists, where in Thumbnail view, display form comes with no Contenttypeid out of box. Similarly adding Name (linked to document with edit menu) to Thumbnail view solved the issue, without displaying additional information.

2. However, I am not sure if this is a SharePoint issue. When Display form opens with a blank Contenttypeid, Edit button on the ribbon is just works fine. It actually brings the Edit form with no Contenttypeid parameter on the URL at all. However, Edit button on the DFFS form calls edit URL with a blank Contenttypeid which is causing the problem.

Alexander, I wonder if there is an easy way to strip Contenttypeid parameter completely on Edit button, especially if Display form is called with blank Contenttypeid to match Sharepoint’s behaviour ?

Many thanks,

Cagri

Alexander Bautz
        Keymaster

I will fix this issue in the next release by removing the ContentTypeId from the URL if it is empty.

Alexander

Benjamin Hawcroft
      Participant

Yes. In my case I have set the linkToItem value on a field in order to use a field other than the title field as the link.

(ie. the fullname field in a contacts list instead of the lastname/title).

What I have discovered is that I needed to add the LinkTitleNoMenu field into each of my views in order for the moved link to include the contenttypeid= value.

In SharePoint Designer I then edited all of my views and added Explicit=”TRUE” as a field property for the LinkTitleNoMenu field in order to hide it.

I could not find any easier way to do this but hopefully this helps if anyone else finds themselves down the same rabbit hole 🙂

DerekH
      Participant

Alexander,
      I’m fairly new to DFFS and I ran into the issue last week where I received “Sorry, something went wrong” when in the EditForm. I though it may be related to my OOTB EditForm.aspx since I had once customized it and subsequently deleted the XSL to get DFFS working on that list (I’ll refer to the this list as “original list”. So I rebuilt the list to make sure that wasn’t the issue.

Now that my 142 column list is completely rebuilt, I am continuing to have these issues. (I’ll refer to this list as the “rebuilt list.”)

Can you help me understand what I can do to make this work? Here are my gathered symptoms:
      1. Original List has DFFS installed for DispForm and EditForm only. (Custom permissions allow for Edit and Display forms only as workflow populates this list with new items from a separate front-door list)
      2. Original List is using DFFS Tabs [11 total tabs]
      3. I didn’t notice any issues for the first week using DFFS, but began to have list items ‘lock up’ and would receive the ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ errors reported by my users. I deleted and recreated new records for these items on the first 3 troubles, but they continue to reappear.
      4. When I Uninstall DFFS from this list, the DispForm and EditForm operate correctly.
      5. URL from Original List that errors out with DFFS installed:
      https://workspace.web.att.com/sites/GTOICoE/Lists/COE_MT/EditForm.aspx?ID=111&Source=https%3A%2F%2Fworkspace%2Eweb%2Eatt%2Ecom%2Fsites%2FGTOICoE%2FLists%2FCOE%5FMT%2FPersonalViews%2Easpx%3FPageView%3DPersonal%26ShowWebPart%3D%7BAD8C38B5%2D02D7%2D465C%2DB0A7%2D437D501F0544%7D&ContentTypeId=0x010030367EDAC98B2A40B0E3870663C07AC2
      6. On the ‘Rebuilt List,’ with DFFS installed, I click on the defailt edit with EditForm and received ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ error with this URL:
      https://workspace.web.att.com/sites/GTOICoE/Lists/ATLAS/EditForm.aspx?ID=2&Source=https%3A%2F%2Fworkspace%2Eweb%2Eatt%2Ecom%2Fsites%2FGTOICoE%2FLists%2FATLAS%2FAllItems%2Easpx
      7. Tabs are not yet configured on the Rebuilt List.
      8. In both ‘Original’ and ‘Rebuilt’ some records are edited and work without issue with DFFS while some give an error.
      9. Once a record receives the ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ error, the record cannot be edited either with DFFS installed or uninstalled.

Hopefully I have provided enough information, but can provide more if needed.

(DFFS Frontend 4.4.2.7; CSS 4.21/4.21; jQuery 1.12.4; SPJS-Utility 1.272)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by DerekH. Reason: Forgot to add that some records work on both Original and Rebuilt lists
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      If this error keeps occurring even if DFFS is removed it has to be an issue with the record itself and not with DFFS. My guess is that it contains some invalid entries in either a lookup column, people picker or if the original error from the first comment in this thread is correct – in the content type.

You may be able to edit the item in a datasheet view in a list (add all columns to the view) and try editing one field at a time to see which contains the invalid data.

Alexander

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’ll move the follow-up here to keep it separated from this old post: https://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/sorry-something-went-wrong/

Alexander

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.