vLookup – Update Child when Parent is Updated

Forums Dynamic Forms for SharePoint vLookup – Update Child when Parent is Updated

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  David Jeremias 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Jeffery McElroy
    Participant

I have a parent list (A) with a child list (B) connected through vLookup. They both have a field named “Display ID”. Is there a way to update the “Display ID” field in all of the child items if the value of this field is changed in the parent item?

Keith Hudson
    Participant

It seems to me that a simple way to accomplish that goal would be to build a workflow on list A that checks for a change in value in the Display ID field, and if found, updates all the matching records on list B.

Using DFFS to update the child values may fail if someone updates the DisplayID field on the parent list in a view, rather than through the edit form, since DFFS functionality operates in the edit form only.

If I were doing it, I would add another field to list A to record the value of the DisplayID field for comparison purposes, since I would want my workflow to run every time an item is edited, and I would need a way to know if the value of DisplayID had changed.

I hope this helps.

Jon Mortimer
      Participant

Keith — thanks for the response and sorry for the delay! Yes, I was attempting to the do the same with the ID field but as you stated it is assigned at Save so within DFFS I could not find a reliable way to do this. Only thing possible would be to save the data then to display an alternate tab that displays the Ticket # or something.

I have not figured out a good solution to the SLA. I created a table that contains two fields, one is concatenated value (i.e. “REPORT ISSUE-MEDIUM”) which is request type and priority. The other field is the SLA in days. In the NEW FORM I added a similar field that combines request type/priority. Unfortunately when I add the cascading dropdown, this field breaks and the dropdowns are blank. Back to the drawing board 🙂

Jeffery McElroy
    Participant

I have attempted the workflow approach, but it only finds the first matching record in list B and then stops.

Jeffery McElroy
    Participant

Just to clarify, when I reference the “Display ID” field in the parent, it is not the “ID” field that SP automatically assigns, I created a single line of text field, where I enter a value. Does this change things as to whether or not I can update the child items when this field in the parent item changes?

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Hi,
    You can use a custom function like the one shown here: http://spjsblog.com/forums/topic/load-list-data-into-vlookup-tab/#post-18580

I have modified the function slightly to do one batch update on all children (limits the number of children to 100 – if you can have more, the function must be changed slightly):

function callMeFromChangeRule(){
        var arrOfIDs = [];
        jQuery.each(spjs.vLookup.dataObj.vLookupTasks[spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].items,function(id,vLookupListItem){
        	arrOfIDs.push(id);
        });
        spjs.utility.updateItem({
            "listName":"GUID_OF_YOUR_CHILD_LIST",
            "id":arrOfIDs,
            "data":{"FIELD_INTERNAL_NAME_IN_CHILD_LIST":"NEW_VALUE"}
        });
    }

Changed “vLookupTasks” to match your vLookup field name, “GUID_OF_YOUR_CHILD_LIST”, “FIELD_INTERNAL_NAME_IN_CHILD_LIST” and “NEW_VALUE” to match your settings.

You can for example set up a rule that triggers on change of the id-column, and this rule can trigger the function to update all child records.

Let me know how this works out.

Alexander

Jeffery McElroy
    Participant

This works partially; however, instead of bringing in the text I replace “NEW_VALUE” with, I would like to bring in the value of a field in the parent form and carry that over to the field with the same name in the child form. Here is what I have:

function callMeFromChangeRule(){
    var arrOfIDs = [];
    jQuery.each(spjs.vLookup.dataObj.vLookupRACI[spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].items,function(id,vLookupListItem){
    arrOfIDs.push(id);
    });
    “listName”:”{e9392598-2d1a-4437-9ef1-456d35d50577}”,
    “id”:arrOfIDs,
    “data”:{“Display_x0020_ID”:”Display_x0020_ID”}
    });
    }

The result is it puts “Display_x0020_ID” in the child field named Display ID instead of the actual value of the parent field “Display_x0020_ID”.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Just change it to:

"data":{"Display_x0020_ID":getFieldValue("Display_x0020_ID")}

Alexander

Jeffery McElroy
    Participant

Works perfectly. Thanks so much.

Jeffery McElroy
    Participant

Now receiving the following error:
    TypeError: Unable to get property ‘3’ of undefined or null reference

Here is my script:
    function UpdateIRWs(){
    var arrOfIDs = [];
    jQuery.each(spjs.vLookup.dataObj.vLookupIRWs[spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID].items,function(id,vLookupListItem){
    arrOfIDs.push(id);
    });
    “listName”:”{2a4f5f2c-990e-4743-b605-1167eb89e4c3}”,
    “id”:arrOfIDs,
    “data”:{“Display_x0020_ID”:getFieldValue(“Display_x0020_ID”)}
    });
    }

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

I suspect you are running the code without having loaded the vLookup data. The vLookup’s are “lazy-loaded” and you must have it visible in a tab before you can use the spjs.vLookup.dataObj

Alexander

David Jeremias
    Participant

Hey All,

I too struggled with this issue for a couple months. However, I was finally able to get a SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow to update all of the child items related to a specific parent item. Now, whenever a change is made to an item in the parent list, the SPD2013 workflow searches the child list for all the matching IDs and updates only those matching items. The workflow is surprisingly quick and when needed, I can run the workflow on 100 items at a time, with no performance issues. All 100 instances of the workflow complete before I can even get to the workflow status screen. This is a great way to keep 2 or more SharePoint lists in sync. If anyone is interested let me know and I would be happy to share the specs of my workflow.

– David

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  David Jeremias. Reason: typo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.