vLookup child value back to parent

Forums vLooup for SharePoint vLookup child value back to parent

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kasey
      Participant

I’m trying to figure out if the below is possible and if so the best way to accomplish it.

I have a parent list and want to create a child questionnaire. I want to limit the responses to 1. So within DFFS parent list I want the user to be able to create only 1 child item. In addition I want to bring back the value of one field in the child to the parent so that rules can be run. Or be able to query the child item to execute a rule after I save the child item. I hope this makes sense.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Kasey.
      Kasey
      Participant

I got some help and was able to figure out how to get the value in the child item and can add it in a function in custom js. Is there something I can use to trigger the function on saving the child item? And is there a good way to limit the child items to just one?

Kasey
      Participant

Here is the function I plan on implementing. I would only allow add/edit on New or Edit. Is there a trigger I can use to know when to call the function after a child vlookup has been added or edited? And is there a way to limit to just one child item. Sorry for all the posts.

function setParentFromChild(vLookup,vLookupChildField,parentField){
      var parentID = getFieldValue(“ID”);
      var childValue = for (childItem in spjs.vLookup.dataObj[vLookup][parentID].items) {spjs.vLookup.dataObj[vLookup][parentID].items[childItem][vLookupChildField]};
      setFieldValue(parentField,childValue);
      }

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Kasey.
      Kasey
      Participant

Updated Function…

var childValues = [];
      for (childItem in spjs.vLookup.dataObj[vLookup][parentID].items) {
      spjs.vLookup.dataObj[vLookup][parentID].items[childItem][vLookupChildField]
      childValues.push(childItem);};

setFieldValue(parentField,childValues[0]);
      }

Kasey
      Participant

Final update to function. I thought I tested it fully but didn’t.

var childValues = [];
      for (childItem in spjs.vLookup.dataObj[vLookup][parentID].items) {
      childValues.push(spjs.vLookup.dataObj[vLookup][parentID].items[childItem][vLookupChildField]);
      };
      setFieldValue(parentField,childValues[0]);
      }

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been busy with catching up on a few bugs and older questions in the forum and in my mailbox.

Here is an example of a custom function to open a child item where you can control the callback:

function openCustomDialog(){
      	var url = "your_site/Lists/DFFS_TestList/NewForm.aspx?parentListGuid="+_spPageContextInfo.pageListId+"&parentForm="+location.pathname+"&parentItemId="+spjs.dffs.data.thisItemID+"&baseUrl="+_spPageContextInfo.webServerRelativeUrl+"&getFromParent=_vLookupID|_vLookupParentID|false~Title|Title|false"
      	SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog(
      		{
      			"url":url,
      			"dialogReturnValueCallback":customCallbackFunc
      		}
      	);
      }

function customCallbackFunc(ok){
      	if(ok){
      		alert("Clicked OK");
      	}else{
      		alert("Clicked Cancel");
      	}
      }

Call the function “openCustomDialog” from a button to open the dialog, and modify the function “customCallbackFunc” to catch the callback.

I think maybe the check to see if the user has already responded could be put in the child NewForm like this:

var res = spjs.utility.queryItems({"listName":_spPageContextInfo.pageListId,"query":"<Where><Eq><FieldRef Name='Author' /><Value Type='Integer'><UserID /></Value></Eq></Where>","viewFields":["ID"],"rowLimit":1});
      if(res.count > 0){
       	alert("Sorry, you cannot take the survey more than one time.");
      	$("input[id$='diidIOGoBack']:last").trigger("click");
      }

Hope this gets you on the right track.

Best regards,
      Alexander

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.