Using a multi-line column as a lookup

Forums General discussion Using a multi-line column as a lookup

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alexander Bautz 1 day, 17 hours ago.

• Author

John Freemont
    Participant

Hi.

I’m using SharePoint Online with DFFS and have a requirement to relate one list to another. Unfortunately the user experience requires the use of a multi-line description field from List A to relate to List B but using a Lookup column in List B it isn’t allowed to use a multi-line column.

Can anyone help with how I can create an experience when the user is creating a new item or editing an item in List B where they can see the values in the multi-line column (DESCRIPTION in example below) to select from but the value of a calculated ID column (CALCULATEDID) is stored to link the two together?

e.g.

**LIST A**
    TITLE DESCRIPTION CALCULATEDID
    Blank Lorem Ipsum…. LISTA-001

**LIST B**
    TITLE DESCRIPTION LISTA_RELATIONSHIP LISTA_DESCRIPTION
    Blank Lorem Ipsum…. LISTA-001 Lorem Ipsum…

Thanks.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply. I’m not 100% sure I understand what you try to do. How long text are you planning to have in the multiline textfield? – it will be quite difficult for the user to pick the correct one from a dropdown if the text is super long?

Are you using the multiline text only to identify the correct “mother” in list A, or do you want to replicate / show the text in list B?

Maybe you can try this old solution? Read the comments about using it with DFFS.

Alexadner

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.