Setting Email and LANID fields from People Picker in SP 2013

Forums Classic DFFS Setting Email and LANID fields from People Picker in SP 2013

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I’m new to DFFS and am hoping I can move away from InfoPath into this platform. I’m stuck getting some necessary data from the people picker though.

On my form, I have a people picker called “Requester”. I want to use that to populate fields for Requester Name, Email, and LANID. It was easy to set the rule to populate the name (set the value to {Requester} and done) but I am struggling with how to bring over LAN ID and email address. I saw this but it appears to be for SharePoint 2007/2010. I’m using 2013, and it’s not clear how I’d use that code to populate a field on the form anyhow. Any ideas here?

Thanks!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Are you populating the field “Requester” with the current user? – if so, you can set properties from the user profile also – look at the help text on the “Set field value” section in the rule. Basically you use these properties in the “value” field:

// Email
      {userProfile:WorkEmail}
      // Name
      {userProfile:PreferredName}

Not sure what your “LANID” field is, but if it is in the user profile you can use it.

Let me know if you need more help.

Alexander

Hi Alexander. In our case we can’t assume the current user is the Requester, as often these request are submitted on behalf of a manger one of their staff members. It also would affect the approval flow, since if A submits on behalf of B, B would need to approve it first.

I am setting the Submitter using {userProfile:WorkEmail} and {userProfile:UserName}. And I’m able to get the Requester’s name and LAN ID via a button on the form with this custom JS:

On the tab:
      <button type="button" onclick="getRequester()">Get Requester

In Custom JS:
      function getRequester() {
          var RequesterLANID
          var RequesterName
          RequesterLANID = spjs.utility.getFieldValue({"fin":"Requester","delimiter":",","key":"loginName"}).slice(14);
          RequesterName = spjs.utility.getFieldValue({"fin":"Requester","delimiter":",","key":"displayName"});
          setFieldValue("RequesterLANID",RequesterLANID);
          setFieldValue("RequesterName",RequesterName);
      }

Note that I’d like to get a third value, the email address I can’t find the key value for that, as WorkEmail doesn’t return anything.

I’d also prefer to not make a user click a button to populate the Requester details. Once they select a name from the people picker it should populate them. But if I try to trigger that function using onclick:

document.getElementById("Requester_1f4555cf-abb5-46d6-9c90-cf0e0063d350_$ClientPeoplePicker").onchange = function() {getRequester()};

all it will do it populate the fields with the characters I typed into the people picker, not the actual values.

Thanks!

Ok so that turned out to be easier than I thought (caution, noob learning here), I just put my function which I tightened up considerably into a rule where the Requester peoplepicker is changed from initial value and it works. Now if only I could obtain the email address from active directory I’d be completely set to go. Worse case, I can populate that via a workflow.

`function getRequester() {
      setFieldValue(“RequesterLANID”,spjs.utility.getFieldValue({“fin”:”Requester”,”delimiter”:”,”,”key”:”loginName”}).slice(14));
      setFieldValue(“RequesterName”,spjs.utility.getFieldValue({“fin”:”Requester”,”delimiter”:”,”,”key”:”displayName”}));
      }’

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I’m glad you figured it out. You can get the user info from the site collection like this:

var login = spjs.utility.getFieldValue({"fin":"Requester","delimiter":",","key":"loginName"});
      var ui = spjs.utility.userInfo(login);
      alert(ui.EMail);

or you can get the user profile like this:

var login = spjs.utility.getFieldValue({"fin":"Requester","delimiter":",","key":"loginName"});
      var up = spjs.utility.userProfile(login);
      alert(up.WorkEmail);

Alexander

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.