Placeholder option for tooltips

Forums Classic DFFS Placeholder option for tooltips

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      DCH
      Participant

Alexander,

Can you add a option on the Field Tooltip tab to display the text as an icon or as a input placeholder text? I have a ton of jQuery in my Custom JS tab to handle it and thought it would make a nice feature. E.g.,

jQuery("input[id^='somefieldname']").attr("placeholder","sometooltiptext").val("").focus().blur()

Thanks!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I don’t understand exactly what you mean – can you share a screenshot of how this would look in the form?

Alexander

DCH
      Participant

Sure, here is the spec:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input#Labels_and_placeholders

And an example image attached. Check out the “Type of OS” field. It shows a hover icon from dffs, and the html5 placeholder I’m injecting with jQuery. When the user clicks into the field the placeholder text disappears and is replaced with their text.

I would like to be able to choose whether the help text is in an icon, or a placeholder for each field. Only input and textarea fields support the placeholder attribute.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by DCH.
      Attachments:
      Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I see what you mean now, but I don’t think I can add this to the tooltip functionality – mainly because the placeholder (like you pointed out) is only available for input and textarea elements.

You can use this function to add this placeholder:

function addPlaceholderText(fin,text){
      	jQuery("#dffs_"+fin).find("input, textarea").attr("placeholder",text);
      }
      // Call it like this
      addPlaceholderText("YourFieldInternalName","Placeholder text here");

Alexande

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.