Multi-select cascade to multi-choice

Forums Cascading dropdowns Multi-select cascade to multi-choice

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alexander Bautz 6 months ago.

• Author

chgrnet
    Participant

I love your cascades, they are easy to setup and use.

I have a need to have selections in a cascade be filter selections in a list/datasheet view. I know that a multi-line of text field does not do that, but is there a way, if I created a new (hidden) multi-choice field, to output the data from the cascade multi-line of text to the (hidden) multi-choice? The “hidden” multi-choice field would only ever be updated when the form is updated (EditForm.aspx) and the cascade changes.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Sorry, but I’m not sure how this will work out – it seems kind of cumbersome. How would you pass the filters to the datasheed view?

Alexander

chgrnet
      Participant

When in a datasheet or list view, when you use a lookup or choice/multi-choice you can use the title row to filter items in the list. Because your cascades for multi are a multi-text, this is not available. I do need this filter ability, so I was wondering if there was a way to write code to another field that could allow a paste into a multi-choice field (in the background). Your fields display like this:
      Item 1;
      Item 2;
      Item 3;

To paste into a multi-choice, they need to be formatted like this:
      ;#Item 1;#Item 2;#Item 3;#

If I can format the data like above, and put it in another field (it can be a multi-line text), then I could get it into a multi-choice, and what I need to do can be done. This transfer would happen in the background and the field would be hidden on the form, but I would show it on the list or datasheet view.

I understand if my ask does not make sense, and it may not be possible, and that is fine. I really wanted to use your cascades, but I have to be able to filter the data from a list or datasheet view and right now, it won’t work.

Alexander Bautz
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I don’t think this world work that well because you would have to maintain a multiselect field with all possible options you could select in the cascading dropdown.

I’m guessing you are better off using the built in multilookup field in SharePoint.

Alexander

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.