DFFS Rules Causing Major Slowdown SP2010 – IE8

Forums Classic DFFS DFFS Rules Causing Major Slowdown SP2010 – IE8

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Hi, Im hoping someone can help.

I have used DFFS on multiple 2007 sites in the past, this is the first time implementing into a large list in 2010.

My issue is that there seems to be a problem with one of my rules that causes navigation of the form and its tabs to be incredibly slow. If I turn off all rules it speeds up again, also if I use Google Chrome to access the newform.aspx I have zero issues, its as fast as ever.

There are no errors, just slowness, the offending rule is quite simple, based on a checkbox it unhides a tab and makes around 20 fields mandatory.

Thanks in advance

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Im now getting errors, this one is present on newform.aspx…
      “Message: ‘0.match(…)’ is null or not an object
      Line: 2
      Char: 96533
      Code: 0
      URI: http://MYSERVER/_layouts/1033/init.js?rev=7rurhilS20pNrVcviE3PbA%3D%3DQ”

And this one when editing rules…
      “Message: ‘0.match(…)’ is null or not an object
      Line: 9
      Char: 1
      Code: 0
      URI: http://MYSERVER/sites/travel/js/JS/DFFS_backend_min.js”

Both found in IE8 after updating to the newest version of DFFS this morning.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Ryan Cornfoot.
      Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Any ideas?

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Sorry for the delay, I was away on holiday for a few days.

IE 8 is a real in the neck… the slowdowns with IE8 is often related to multiple updates to the DOM – like making fields mandatory (by inserting the red star). Could this be related to “reversing” of other rules that does not match?

Try using the “debug” on the rules to see if some of them are called multiple times, and look at the “No reversing of this rule” setting for the rules that should not be reversed.

As you already have identified, this is an issue with IE8 only. I guess you have not chosen to stick with IE 8, but if possible, I would strongly recommend using a modern browser instead.

Alexander

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Alexander, Really appreciate your time.

I have narrowed it down to the rules that makes around 15 fields mandatory, the rules that do it for one field seem to be fine.

I have tested multiple ways with or without reversing, none work, it does seem to be the act of making fields mandatory that causes the slowdown.

Id love to use a modern browser but the entire company does not use Chrome.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Just to confirm: Exactly which version of DFFS frontend are you using? – you find the version information by hovering over the Enhanced with DFFS and selecting “License and version information”.

Alexander

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Version information
      Autocomplete: not loaded
      Cascading dropdowns: 3.524
      DFFS frontend: 4.354
      DFFS frontend CSS: 4.10 / 4.10jQuery: 1.11.3
      Lookup: not loaded
      Resource management: not loaded
      SPJS-Utility: 1.250
      vLookup: frontend v2.250

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Thanks, I’ll see if I can recreate it and find a fix.

Alexander

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Ok thanks very much, I have just checked and it is slowing down on a rule that makes a tab visible and makes 9 fields mandatory – To confirm this is the issue I have disabled all other rules to ensure there is no conflicts or issues with reversing etc.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      I have tried to create a simple NewForm with two tabs, where a boolean field show a tab and sets 10 fields as mandatory, but this executed without delay. Can you add some screenshots so I can recreate your form exactly?

If you prefer to email it to me, you find my email in the “About me” tab above.

Alexander

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

The list in question has around 90 columns in total (Dont know if this has any bearing)

I have attached a screenshot of the main page, ill post another of the tab that is opened

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Second screenshot of the actual tab.

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

More errors when debugging with Chrome

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Ryan Cornfoot.
      Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Panic over, I have found the culprit.

One of the fields I was making mandatory had a dropdown containing all Train Stations in the UK (2552 Choices!) When this field was made mandatory it crashes IE8 for approx 30 seconds.

I have changed the field to a lookup instead 🙂

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I suspect that the problem here is the slow javascript performance of IE 8. Did it behave better with a lookup type field?

If you don’t like the lookup field, you can try the “autocomplete” plugin to DFFS.

Alexander

Ryan Cornfoot
      Participant

Behaves perfectly using a lookup field, ill look into your autocomplete solution 🙂

Thanks for looking into this.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

No problem – thanks for the feedback.

Alexander

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.