Choose a column in the lookup list to sort column by

Forums Cascading dropdowns Choose a column in the lookup list to sort column by

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis Goodman
      Participant

Hello,

So I have cascading dropdowns setup, and the column I want to lookup to is a single line of text field, but it’s causing sorting to be off.

It’s a mixture of numbers and a description, and in the dropdown will look like this:

103 – WCN_CA_NBO_TUST_WB

1030 – GBNC RES_HN

1034 – GBNC Managers

1035 – MTLA RES_HN INACTIVE

105 – LS Alt Ch ESC Team

I have another column that takes the numbers you see, and holds them as numbers so that I can sort in true numerical order.

My question is, how can I get the lookup to go to the column with the numbers and description, but sort them in the dropdown by the numerical value column so they stay in proper order?

AdamP
      Participant

To keep things as simple as possible could you redo your coding, so that the format is always consistent…103 becomes 0103?
      That would sort the ordering.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Unfortunately the sort order is alphabetically on the option display text, and therefore you will not get a proper numeric sorting. If you are able to follow AdamP’s example you will should get it right.

Alexander

chgrnet
        Participant

I understand how to sort based on this post, but I would like to add it would be very nice if it could sort on an alternate column in the lookup list. I have a use for this where numbers would not be an ideal solution.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.