Change dropdown to text entry if option is not available

Forums Cascading dropdowns Change dropdown to text entry if option is not available

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis Goodman
      Participant

Hello,

Is there a way for the cascading dropdowns to allow users to manually type in something if an option is not available from the dropdown?

Let’s say I have a dropdown of countries:

USA
      Sweden
      Canada

But the user wants to select China. Obviously China isn’t in the list, is there any way they could type it in? If so, what about subsequent dropdowns? How do I manage their behavior if they are dependent on the Country, and they typed one in that doesn’t exist already in the data.

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

Hi,
      Sorry, but this isn’t currently possible. It would be possible to build into the solutions an option to click an “add new” button and basically pop up a dialog with the NewForm for the datasource list.

Unfortunately I’m a bit behind on a few things due to some problems sorting out a few DFFS issues with the latest BETA. I’ve sorted out most of it now, but still have a few loose ends to tie up before I can do anything about this request.

Best regards,
      Alexander

Travis Goodman
      Participant

Hi Alexander, no worries!

I did find a bit of info in your change-log for SPJS-Lookup that describes exactly the functionality I’m hoping you can implement for cascading dropdowns, which is

addYouOwnValue

on: true or false. This controls whether or not to show a link to “kill” the dropdown and show the underlaying text field.

Just something to keep in mind, thanks for all you do!

Alexander Bautz
      Keymaster

I have added it to the “to-do” list, but I have a few loose ends on the latest DFFS version (I ended up with a bigger change than I planned so it takes a bit longer than I anticipated).

Best regards,
      Alexander

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.